A galaxy of art

Local astrophotographer produces night sky images

In intricately detailed and other-worldly images, photographers are capturing star constellations and far-away galaxies. Labeled astrophotography, this craft seeks to study and create art while photographing the night sky.\nBloomington resident Scott Johnson built his own stargazing facilities for this skilled artistry in 1998. The Starfire Observatory at 816 Automall Road No. 244, just outside the Hoosier National Forest, is a fully equipped astrophotography studio. On clear nights, Johnson looks up at the sky in the hopes of capturing a never-before-seen image of a nebula, galaxy or star constellation.\nIt can be tough work. Typically, astrophotographers find more work in the southwest regions of the country. In these areas, such as Arizona and Nevada, the night sky is clear and cloudless, allowing for better focus and a clearer image. In the Midwest, however, conditions are often complicated by cold fronts, overcast skies or precipitation. Coming across just the right weather and sky conditions can take months of waiting and preparation.\n"I photograph virtually every clear night that I can. It's really important that the atmosphere be steady," Johnson said. "I do my best work when the skies are clear, dark and steady."\nTaking an "astrophoto" requires a high amount of discipline and attention to detail. Specialized equipment is required to photograph distant objects deep in space. According to the book "Astrophotography for the Amateur" by Michael A. Covington, many celestial objects are faint, requiring long exposures to accumulate light on film and proper magnification. This is achieved by using powerful telescopes and extremely long exposure by a sophisticated camera. Covington points out that even though finding and using the correct technology might sound difficult, it is not hard to capture a clear image of Jupiter or Saturn. It's simply a matter of patience and practice.\n"I put quite a bit of time into making an image of a galaxy or nebula," Johnson said. "I spend about four or five hours exposing the subject. The longer the exposure, the more detail that can be captured." \nJohnson said there are many technical methods involved in producing a film-based photo, particularly reducing the grain (fuzz) on the negative. In the days before computer enhancement methods, two negatives of the same image, photographed back to back, were stacked on top of each other so the stars matched in register, Johnson said.\nStacks were then taped together and printed in the darkroom. This technique allowed for a clearer picture with grain reduction, as the more negatives that are stacked, the less grain in the final image. Today, as Johnson will attest, the advent of digital photography makes the process a lot less complicated. \n"Today, things have been made easier through the use of computers, scanners, software and digital printers," Johnson said. \nThere are many more advantages with computer technology, such as image quality and the ability to adjust levels of contrast and brightness when developing an astrophoto. In addition to technical feasibility, it is also important to have the right weather and environmental conditions to take a good photo. \nAnother aspect of this type of work is learning the necessary technology and skill required to produce such fantastic images. Computer processing is an integral part of imaging, and everything that can be accomplished in a traditional darkroom today can be accomplished digitally, Johnson said. \nFinding display space is another challenge for astrophotographers. Astronomy magazines and special-interest publications are one method, Covington writes, and privately advertising and selling photographs is another. \nThe Internet has also become a venue for photographers to share their work. \nJohn Chumack, an Ohio astrophotographer who sells his work at www.galacticimages.com, has found varying avenues for publishing his work. He first started taking astrophotos in the early 1990s and has since found it a successful enterprise.\n"I travel around the country selling my work at high-quality fine art shows and numerous galleries," Chumack said. "(I) participate in about 20 fine arts shows per year apart from my normal day job."\nChumack's work has been published in leading scientific magazines, a rare privilege for dedicated astrophotographers. He also sells his work in more than 21 foreign countries. A passion for stargazing and patience provide the best results, he said.\nJohnson's artwork can be purchased locally, though. He sells his images at the multimedia Wandering Turtle Art Gallery, 224 N. College Ave., run by Jaime Sweany.\n"He's got a really keen eye for taking these images from space and making them compositionally interesting," Sweany said. "He chooses images really well; he makes them into a cohesive unit." \nFor more information on astrophotography and Johnson's work, visit www.starfirestudios.com.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Olivia Morales at ormorale@indiana.edu.