Gala guests show appreciation of theater

Artists gave honor to the Bloomington Playwrights Project

Silver star balloons, glowing candles, glitter, pictures and play brochures adorned an upstairs room at the John Waldron Arts Center Saturday evening for the Bloomington Playwrights Project's 25th birthday party. \nThe guests began to filter in for the cocktail hour about 6:15 p.m.\n"It's amazing to have a whole group of people who are dedicated to theater; it's just wonderful," said Sonja Johnson, development director of the Bloomington Playwrights Project. \nFor the guests gathered in the elegantly decorated and beautifully catered room, it was a time to share in the excitement of a passion that created the BPP. The love of theater founded the Bloomington Playwrights Project and the passion for original play production has kept it in business for the past 25 years.\n"Writing is my life and has been since my childhood," said Russ Bridenbaugh, a Bloomington resident and playwright. "I like the ability to take nothing and then make an entire world or story -- that is very rewarding for me."\nBridenbaugh had three one-act plays produced in the early '80s through the BPP. \nBPP founder and playwright Jim Leonard and his wife traveled from New York to Bloomington for the Silver Season Gala. Both IU alumni, the couple were moved to be in Bloomington again. \n"We had no idea it would survive," Leonard said of the BPP. \nAt 8:15 p.m. Richard Perez began a series of remarks about the BPP. Perez spoke about his feelings for the BPP, \n"... Theater is about so much more than putting on a play, it's a place where we can come to learn more about ourselves and each other," Perez said. "It's a place to commune."\nFounders Tom Moseman and Leonard, past playwright Jim Poyner, past Artistic Director John Kinzer, who currently serves as director of audience development of the IU Theatre and Drama Department, and Education Director Breshaun Joyner also spoke. Pieces of past plays were performed between speeches. There was laughter and tears, and standing ovations for those who truly have made a difference in the theater community. \nGuests danced to music and enjoyed sliced beef tenderloin, lime-flavored chicken skewers and shrimp cocktail. There were speeches, and a silent auction before patrons entered the main room. Johnson said the idea was to have a "Bloomington feel" to the party. Many people traveled a great distance for the event. Director and founder Moseman, who came from Los Angeles, said he was most moved by the success of the BPP. \n"It's really absolutely most incredibly wonderful to be here tonight, I don't think many of you can understand what this means to me," Moseman said. \nHe continued to discuss his feelings toward theater and the start of the BPP. \n"It's not about the money ... it is about the community." Leonard said. "Theater is about people ... plays are about people, about ideas that grow." \nAnd his and Leonard's idea did grow, for 25 years, and will continue to with the birth of new, original theater.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Christine Lunde at clunde@indiana.edu.