BSO celebrates anniversary with concert

On Saturday night, a musical staple of the south-central Indiana community celebrated its 35th anniversary.\nThe Bloomington Symphony Orchestra rang in its 35th season with a concert entitled "The Composer and his Orchestra," featuring works by composers from the Bloomington area who are involved with the BSO under the baton of guest conductor Christopher Ludwa.\nH. Michael Simmons, the president of the BSO board of directors said the orchestra's foundation and purpose was founded in 1969-1970 by graduate students from the IU School of Music, to create a volunteer community orchestra that would serve the wider community of south-central Indiana.\n"We draw musicians from many communities throughout the area," Simmons said, "and our programs are tailored to the needs of the five-county area."\nAside from the regular season concerts, some of the programs the BSO puts on are a free concert in Bryan Park and the Night in Old Vienna dinner-dance. Also, the BSO places an emphasis on child and youth education. Such programs include the Youth Concerto Competition, the Children's Concert, the Meet the Instruments program and instrument donation program.\n"The orchestra extends its mission to educating and fostering the musical arts to the community's youth," Simmons said.\nSimmons said Saturday's concert represents part of the orchestra's mission to feature local talent.\nPaul Hartin, one of the composers featured on the program spoke of his involvement with the BSO.\n"I've been in the orchestra since the late '70s and I've always enjoyed being in it," he said. "It not only has musical rewards, but I've also met many friends through it and given back to the community through its programs."\nHartin said he places emphasis on the community programs, calling the BSO "big on community support."\n"It's the activities outside of just performing that make the BSO such a success," Hartin said.\nHe said he wrote his piece after the dinner-dance event as a tribute to the orchestra, its supporters and the event's success.\nComposer David Canfield said involvement with the BSO is an important role for the community. \n"I support the orchestra, play in it, write for it, and serve on the board because it plays such an important role in the community," Canfield said. "The IU School of Music orients its programs toward students, so the BSO's role is to gear its programs and events toward the wider community."\nSaturday's concert performed before a receptive community audience, Simmons said. \n"It was very successful," He said. "I was impressed with how well the musicians played and how receptive the audience was."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Adam Sedia at asedia@indiana.edu.