The KISISS Report

Question:\nAre ribbed or other "extra feature" condoms more likely to break than basic lubricated ones?\nAnswer:\nFortunately, those fun "extra features" do not translate into greater risk. The most important factors involved in protecting you and your partner from sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancy are that condoms are used consistently (read: every single time) and correctly. Aside from that, feel free to use condoms that are flavored, scented, colored, textured or even condoms that glow in the dark. FDA approved condoms come in packaging that carries statements about their ability to protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Beware of "novelty" condoms that are not equipped to protect you. It definitely pays to read the fine print.\nThe business of safer sex through condom use is an interesting one in that the best means of protecting a man and his partner from infection, aside from abstaining from sex, would be to use a thicker condom. But then guys, and potentially their partners too, would lose sensation (and guys might subsequently lose their erections). Such outcomes are simply not compatible with pleasurable sex.\nEnter the clever folks in the adult retail industry who have manufactured a wide variety of condoms designed to protect you while maintaining, even sometimes increasing, sexual pleasure. These condoms go through the same rigorous testing as regular lubricated or non-lubricated condoms. Condoms get tested for holes and other defects, as well as for their ability to stretch and to withstand air pressure during an "air burst" test. Only batches of condoms that meet these criteria are allowed to be sold in the US.\nBut all the great condom brands in the world are only as good as their users allow them to be. In other words, given all the time that you may be spending in trying to find a sex partner, you should at least take the time to learn how to correctly use a condom. Even if you think you're the best condom user that IU has ever seen, you might be surprised at some common mistakes people make.\nFirst, condoms (especially latex condoms) should be stored in a cool, dry place (latex condoms are extremely sensitive to temperature changes). Wallets and glove compartments are bad storage spots. Check the expiration date of the condom (particularly if you got it from a friend or you're not sure how long it's been in your nightstand) and open the package carefully with your fingers.\nMake sure to put a condom on before penetration begins, pinch the tip, and unroll the condom correctly. If you realize you're unrolling it inside out, take it off, throw it away and try again with a new one. Since penises can emit pre-ejaculate (that may contain sperm and infection), if you just flip it over once it's been on incorrectly, you may be exposing your partner to the very thing you're trying to prevent! \nOnce it's on, make sure there are no air bubbles that could pop/break during sex, and water and silicone based lubes are both safe bets to use with latex condoms. Keep the condom on for the entire act of sex and, if a guy ejaculates inside his partner, he should hold the condom on to the base of his penis as he withdraws so that it doesn't slip off, get left behind and potentially expose his partner to sperm and/or infection. \nPolyurethane condoms are a great choice for those who are sensitive or allergic to latex, or who prefer oil-based lubricants (oil-based lube should never be used with latex condoms, but can be used safely with polyurethane). These condoms are thin and conduct heat, so they're a pleasurable sensation for many users. Animal skin condoms (think lambskin) offer good protection against pregnancy, but they are not effective in preventing STIs. \nThere are an enormous variety of condoms available on the market, and a seemingly endless array of "extras", as you noted. Check out the KISISS Web site or www.plannedparenthood.org for more information about condom use and www.condomania.com for a glimpse at the wide range of condoms.\nVisit The Kinsey Institute Sexuality Information Service for Students (KISISS) online at www.indiana.edu/~kisiss, where you can ask questions, learn about our dorm sex ed programs or browse the Q&A archive.