Student's usage of HPER, SRSC up 4 percent since 2000

Facilities crowded before November break, after New Year's resolutions

IU's recreational sports department is well respected around the nation, with Sports Illustrated On Campus reporting, IU is "perhaps the nation's top recreational-sports program." \nOne of the reasons for the success of RecSports can be traced to the Student Recreational Sports Center and School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation facilities. The two facilities provide students with the opportunity to participate in a wide range of physical activities, from lifting weights to playing badminton and everything in between.\nAccording to the RecSports Web site, the SRSC opened in July 1995 to meet the growing demand for more recreational facilities for student use. The SRSC cost $22.5 million to complete and was funded entirely through student funds. The 9-year-old SRSC became the newest addition to the RecSports facilities, which include the HPER, Woodlawn Field, North Fee Lane Fields and the North Jordan tennis courts. \nAccording to a report from RecSports, 1.8 million people participate in recreational sports programs and facilities each year, including 87.5 percent of the IU student population. Buoyed by high student participation, usage for the SRSC and HPER has risen over the past five years, including the 2004 fall semester. Student involvement in RecSports facilities has grown 4 percent from 2000. According to the same report, the main reason for the boost is the increased popularity in intramural sports.\n"My friends and I go to the SRSC to practice for the upcoming basketball season," said freshman Chase Daoud. "We like the good competition and the high-quality courts at the SRSC."\nIncreased student usage this early in the year is a normal cycle for the RecSports facilities, said Chris Geary, RecSports' program director of research, special events and outreach.\n"Participation in sports and usage of our facilities is relatively high until Thanksgiving break," Geary said. "Kids come back from vacation and the stress of finals sets in and they have less time to come and use our facilities. Participation picks back up in January with the new semester and New Year's resolutions."\nParticipation has been aided by the success of many of the intramural sports. Many programs have filled all the possible slots with participants. The number of intramural indoor soccer teams exceeded expectations, and RecSports resorted to forming a waiting list of 20 teams. \nAnd as intramural sports grow, expect the popularity of the SRSC and the HPER to do the same.\n-- Contact staff writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.