Local sailors 'come sail away'

Bloomington Yacht Club offers boating, friendship

When thinking of Bloomington, there are several things that come to mind -- basketball, cornfields ... and sailing?\nThat's right. Lake Lemon -- with not one, but two different sailing clubs -- is a hot spot for the sport. \nNot only does IU have its sailing facilities located on the lake at Beechwood Heights, but the Bloomington Yacht Club has also been located there since it was founded in 1958.\nThe club was originally located at Beechwood Heights, near the current location of the IU Yacht Club.\nIn 1969 it was relocated to an old lake cabin, replete with an outhouse. After a tree landed on the roof 10 years ago, the clubhouse was rebuilt. It now has indoor bathrooms, showers and a large deck.\nJennifer Hubbard, who has been sailing with the club since she moved from England 35 years ago, said the Bloomington Yacht Club is made up of 32 families who come from as far away as Indianapolis, Bloomfield, Ind., and Columbus, Ind. \nFrom the opening of the sailing season in April until its end in October, club members participate in weekly races, hoping to earn the overall trophy at the end-of-the-year banquet. \nAccording to the yacht club's Web site, the club is as much about socializing as sailing. Members frequently gather for potlucks. The Sailing Sallies, the club's women's group, meets monthly. And there is always lemonade and refreshments after the races.\nNever been on a sailboat? That doesn't matter.\n"We're always pleased to get new people," Hubbard said. "We let everybody and anybody in." \nThe club doesn't rent boats, but there are opportunities to work as a crew member for somebody who does own a boat. \n"Crewing is the best way to learn how to sail," Hubbard said. "You can learn from someone with experience."\nMike Crane, a member for 10 years, enjoys the social aspect as much as the sailing aspect.\n"Racing is a lot different than sailing," he said. "Balance, trimming a sheet -- it takes a lifetime to finesse it. We have a great day, even when we lose."\nFor more information about the Bloomington Yacht Club, log on to www.bloomingtonyachtclub.org.\n-- Contact staff writer Andrew \nPetersen at andpeter@indiana.edu