Hoosier heartache equates to headaches

With all the momentum on their side and only minutes left in the game, it looked as if the Hoosiers' hopes for a bowl game would remain alive -- that was until IU turned the ball over. \nRedshirt freshman quarterback Blake Powers took over for an injured Matt LoVecchio, who played well all day completing 15 of 17 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown. On a third down, Powers looked long but came up short and threw his first interception of the day. The momentum swung toward Illinois, and the Fighting Illini responded with a score on the heels of some big Pierre Thomas runs.\nI don't believe that Powers is to blame, in fact, I don't think there's anybody you can really blame for the Hoosiers' 26-22 loss to Illinois. But, I do want to know why IU coach Gerry DiNardo decided to have Powers throw on first and third down when all the Hoosiers needed to do was run the clock down. Two of the three downs in Powers' first series were spent on incomplete passing plays that could've taken close to an extra minute off the clock if the Hoosiers ran the ball. By the way, the Fighting Illini scored with just 30 seconds left, proving that the extra minute would've been invaluable to the Hoosiers' cause.\nIn a game where it seemed that everything was going right for the Hoosiers, it's hard to believe one bad series could cost them the game. \nBesides LoVecchio's performance, junior receiver Jahkeen Gilmore and sophomore tight end Chris Rudanovic both had career receiving days. Gilmore scored on an 80-yard pass on the first play of the game while Rudanovic led the team in receptions, catching six passes for 62 yards.\nDefensively, IU found another freshman gem in cornerback Leslie Majors. Against the Illini, Majors broke up five passes while helping the secondary shut down the Illini passing game. \nOverall, Illinois had a hard time moving the ball until the fourth quarter when the Hoosier defense inexplicably let the Illini run all over them. Illinois tailback Thomas sliced through the IU defensive line and energized an Illini team that didn't have much to celebrate about -- yet. Illinois soon found the end zone, eliminating any and all chances the Hoosiers had at a bowl game.\nSo, while we can sit here and wonder what if, Gerry DiNardo will be reaching for the aspirin and trying to forget the fourth quarter. He will be wondering why he thought it was a good idea to have Powers throw so much, but he also has to face his third consecutive losing season in Bloomington.\nI think we could all use some aspirin.