Does Sexual orientation Political affiliation?

As GLBT issues move to political forefront, party stereotypes become challenged

Can a lesbian be a Republican? This summer, Mary Cheney's sexuality made national headlines because of her continued support and involvement in President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney's campaign. Mary Cheney is Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter who lives in Denver with her partner. The vice president and his wife, Lynne, have both stated that they love their daughter and support gay rights, but Mary Cheney has received criticism from some sectors of the gay community because of her support of a party that is assumed in general to not support same-sex marriage.\n"The truth is that (Sen.) John Kerry and (Sen.) John Edwards are not for gay marriage either," said Jimmy LaSalvia, president of the Kentucky Commonwealth Chapter of the Log Cabin Republicans.\n"We are gay and lesbian conservatives who believe in low taxes, small government, a free market and restrained legislation," LaSalvia said of the Log Cabin Republicans, a conservative gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual organization that has chapters across the United States. A chapter in Indiana is still in the process of development.\n"We work within the Republican party to try and educate the party on GLBT issues. The fact of the matter is ... (gay issues are) just one realm of policies," LaSalvia said. "Many in the gay community spent 20 to 30 years educating the Democratic Party because that is the party they affiliated with. We are doing the same thing in the Republican party -- we just got a late start."\nKendra Clarke, a first-year IU graduate student in political science, said she believes sexual orientation only has a small influence on a person's political tendencies. Clarke, a lesbian, said she is a Democrat because she was influenced by her parents' strong liberal leanings. \n"I don't think (sexual orientation) dictates their political tendencies at all. I do think it's easier to jump on the Democratic bandwagon if a person is gay because of more liberal issues," Clarke said. "(My political affiliation) is definitely the way I was brought up. My mom goes into the booths and votes straight Democrat."\nDoug Bauder, coordinator of IU's GLBT Student Support Services, said he believes his being gay is a political statement but at the same time believes that a voter should not focus on one issue. As a teen, Bauder was active in the Republican Party in Pennsylvania as vice president of the Teen GOP.\n"I didn't identify as gay then," Bauder said. \nHis political party support changed after the Nixon presidency. Bauder came out as being gay in the 1980s while he was in his 30s. At the time, Reagan was not giving credence to the AIDS problem, and Bauder said he felt people and the government needed to be more aware of issues relating to sexuality.\n"As I grew up, I realized that my being gay is a political statement, but it's also related to religion," Bauder said. "I think people grow in their awareness of life, and I tried to be open. I was really committed to Republican beliefs when I was kid. I'd be very hard pressed to identify with the GOP -- now not in history, but now."\nMatt Brunner, vice president of the IU College Democrats, believes that being gay is an issue that attracts many non-heterosexual voters to the Democratic Party.\n"If I wasn't so involved in the Democratic Party already, gay rights would persuade me," Brunner said. "If another party completely embraces things that you hold close to, like gay rights, I believe it could persuade you."\nAlthough he's a supporter of gay marriage, Brunner would have liked to see the issue move more slowly than it did, he said. Before the public starts an argument about same-sex marriage, Brunner would like to see equal nondiscriminatory acts passed -- especially on the federal level. \n"Partner benefits is a big thing," Brunner said.\nBrunner has sympathy for Mary Cheney and the situation in which the media has put her.\n"I think it's an awkward situation for her," Brunner said. "Lynne Cheney is not for a constitutional ban on gay marriage, and Cheney said he'd support gay rights, but I thought it was sad that (Lynne Cheney) did not speak at the Republican National Convention whether she wanted to or not."\n"Honestly, Mary Cheney says she doesn't want to be anybody's poster child, and I respect her for that," Clarke said. "Family is forever."\nLaSalvia agrees with Clarke that family is more important than any political battle.\n"I think that they have a very strong family. I think any daughter is going to support her father," LaSalvia said. \nThe Log Cabin Republicans did not endorse Bush in this election, but Bush will probably receive votes from GLBT conservatives "because of the war on terror, trade issues and everyday issues," LaSalvia said. "Republicans are centered around individual freedoms. Many in the party need reminding of that."\n-- Contact staff writer Lucretia Fernandez at lfernand@indiana.edu.