2 teams, 1 great rivalry

Saturday will give 1 team a chance to add a link in the Old Oaken Bucket

Walking into the football locker room, it becomes evident after a few moments which game is the most important to IU: the game against arch-rival Purdue.\nOn the wall hangs a clock that resembles something out of a "Mission Impossible" movie, counting down the seconds until the clash with the Boilermakers.\nThe Hoosiers (3-7, 1-6 Big Ten) will try to accomplish the assignment of bringing back the Old Oaken Bucket when they square off against Purdue (6-4, 3-4 Big Ten) at noon Saturday at Ross-Ade Stadium. \nJunior defensive lineman Russ Richardson said the clock is a constant reminder when training.\n"You get that feeling when you look up and see that clock, and it just kind of reminds you of the way things are going to be out there," Richardson said.\nThere will be no love lost between the two rivals as they battle for the Old Oaken Bucket, which has been awarded to the winner since 1924.\nThe Hoosiers can look to last season as source of motivation, as Purdue came into Memorial Stadium and defeated IU 24-16.\nTo accomplish the task at hand, IU will have to contain two of the most potent weapons in the conference: quarterback Kyle Orton and Taylor Stubblefield.\nOrton, at quarterback, was a contender for the Heisman Trophy after leading the Boilermakers to a 5-0 start, and has struggled as of late in Purdue's recent slide, losing four of its last five and falling out of the top 25. After an injury caused him to miss time, Orton returned last Saturday to guide Purdue to a 24-17 win against Ohio State, ensuring the Boilermakers' eighth bowl bid in eight years.\nOne of Orton's top targets is Stubblefield. The all-time leading receiver at Purdue is only six receptions away from setting the NCAA career mark for receptions.\nDespite the Boilermakers' vaunted passing attack in the past, Purdue has preferred running the ball, said IU coach Gerry DiNardo.\n"They have two very good running backs (juniors Brandon Jones and Jerod Void)," DiNardo said. "They are one of the top three-talent level teams that we play this year."\nThe Purdue offense isn't the only thing the Hoosiers will have to worry about, as the Boilermakers boast a tough defense. Purdue's rush defense ranks first in conference in league play, possibly posing problems for an IU team averaging just three yards per carry. \nWith the Purdue game comes an emotional side not seen in most games.\nThroughout the weeks leading into the game, a different level of intensity grows for players, no matter where they are from.\nRichardson, an Arizona native, didn't know much about the in-state rivalry coming out of Phoenix Christian High School, but once he played in his first game, he understood the passion between the two schools.\nJunior cornerback Buster Larkins had a similar experience, despite being from Indianapolis, he said.\n"Until you play in a game do you really understand the intensity and tenacity and the tradition and pride of this rivalry," Larkins said. "It is deep. You are not only fighting out there this weekend for the guys in the locker room, but the guys in the locker room before you."\nAs the clock in the locker room ticks down the final seconds before the clash, thoughts of missing out on a bowl game are pushed to the backs of the IU players' minds.\nThe underclassmen would love nothing more than to send the 18 seniors out with the Old Oaken Bucket. For most seniors, they came in and won the Old Oaken Bucket in 2001, and getting the opportunity to win it again is one for which the players are primed, senior wide receiver Courtney Roby said.\n"It's my last (Old Oaken Bucket) game. I got one coming in, and I want to get one coming out," IU's all-time leading receiver said. "(The clock) is a big reminder of how close we are. There are a lot of memories, and it's definitely counting down."\nThe game will not be televised, but IU fans can catch it through ESPN Broadband by logging on to www.iuhoosiers.com and clicking on a link that will prompt viewers to a Web site where they can watch. A high-speed connection is required to view the game.\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.