Red, blue, a little green, too

I have a confession to make that might surprise some of you. It has taken a lot of courage to admit, but here goes: I am a flip-flopper.\nThat's right. I have constantly been going back and forth in my mind over my opinions on several issues. And subsequently, I have been unsure about who will get my vote in November.\nBut is there anything wrong with my uncertainty? Is my opinion -- whatever it may be -- less important because of my indecisiveness? I don't think so. \nA couple days ago, I had a political conversation with one of my friends. He asked me for whom I plan to vote in the upcoming election. To his surprise, I told him that I was going to switch my intended vote for a few offices from the Republican candidate to the Democrat. He was surprised. And when I jokingly called myself a flip-flopper, he wholeheartedly agreed. But what is wrong with that?\nAfter finding more information and being exposed to more convincing arguments, we should be able to change our opinions without being criticized. Good decisions are made because the decision-maker carefully weighs all sides for validity. Making a hip-shot choice and sticking to it for consistency's sake is not responsible.\nBut that's not how decisions seem to be made today. Consistency is more valuable than being right. And more importantly, we see a change in opinion as a huge weakness.\nPresident Bush released an advertisement Monday attacking Sen. John Kerry's indecisiveness regarding national security and the War in Iraq. The ad, titled "Searching," asks, "How can John Kerry protect us when he doesn't even know where he stands?" This ad is just an addition to the attacks on Kerry's perceived indecisiveness. \nHowever, the uncertainty isn't just coming from one side. In Kerry's new ad "Reasons," the campaign asks, "Why did George Bush go to war in Iraq?" The ad then presents evidence how the reasons have changed -- from weapons of mass destruction to Iraqi-al Qaeda links. \nI don't understand why either side is scolding the other. Both Sen. Kerry and President Bush changed their views based upon new -- and what at the time seemed to be accurate -- information. This is exactly what I expect from a leader: the ability and the willingness to change an opinion if that is what is needed.\nAt the same time, I do expect them to make a decision if that is what is needed. Many people praise President Bush for sticking by his convictions. Many say that this consistency lends itself well to making quick decisions. I am sure it does. But any leader can be expected to make what he believes to be the best choice when the time comes. Changing one's mind should not be interpreted to mean that person can't make a choice.\nI am still not sure who I will vote for. There are some issues about which I agree with one candidate; others about which I agree with another. The key for me is to decide which issues are most important.\nI will likely continue to weigh my choices right up until Election Day. Some days will be red, some blue. Hell, a green day might even slip in there sometime (Although those mostly happen on Thursdays). All I know is that when I walk into the voting booth, I will make a decision based upon the best information I will have had at the time. And I might regret the choice that I make, but, if that is the case, you can bet I will admit it, even if I am a flip-flopper.