Kernan against tuition cap law

IU professor questions merit of education platforms

The Indiana Daily Student reported Wednesday that Indiana Gov. Joe Kernan has proposed the creation of a law capping college tuition increases at 4 percent per year. \nTina Noel, Kernan's spokeswoman, said while Kernan does in fact support a 4 percent tuition cap, he does not believe it should be made into law. Instead, he hopes universities will voluntarily keep future tuition increases at that level to ensure college is affordable for lower- and middle-income families.\n"The governor believes right now that the best way to approach this issue is by working with the state's colleges and universities," she said. "It's an approach he takes to most issues, and that is working together."\nStill, some policy experts said any form of a tuition cap at a time when the state's economy is still shaky is a mistake. \nIU-Purdue University Indianapolis Political Science Professor Bill Blomquist said as long as state funding for higher education continues to be low, tuition caps could stunt university growth.\n"Without increased state appropriations, tuition caps will simply leave higher education in Indiana falling further behind," Blomquist said.\nLast year, Kernan asked universities not to raise tuition by more than 4 percent, and IU seemed to comply. The IU board of trustees voted on May 9 for a 4 percent increase. IU trustee Patrick Shoulders said Kernan's proposal was in line with what the board intended to do anyway.\nShoulders, who was appointed to the IU board of trustees by late Gov. Frank O'Bannon in 2002, supports the Kernan campaign. Senate Bill 262, introduced in January by Indiana State Sen. Luke Kenley, R-Noblesville, proposed making the tuition cap a law. A study by the Indiana Legislative Services Industry suggested universities offset the possible loss in revenue resulting from the cap by raising fees for incoming students. The bill did not pass.\nRepublican candidate Mitch Daniels offers a different solution. He wants universities to tighten their belts and be more efficient in how they operate. He believes IU and other state universities can be more effective in pooling their purchasing agreements and can boost revenues from new business formation, patents and technology transfer, said Ellen Whitt, Daniels' spokeswoman. \n"Those internally-generated revenues could help lower tuition costs," Whitt said. \nDaniels also proposes the creation of an Office of Federal Grants and Procurement to be part of the state executive branch. Whitt said the office could help IU secure more dollars from out of state. \nThe Federal Funds Information for States, a nonpartisan group, reported in May that Indiana ranks last in the nation in education grants from the federal government.\nBlomquist said Daniels' cost-savings plan could translate into more part-time instructors and classes taught via video-links and the Internet.\nDespite offering distinct plans, neither candidate is likely to give higher education much of a boost, said Blomquist.\n"Want to choose your governor this year based on who'll be best for higher education?" asked Blomquist. "Flip a coin."\n-- Contact staff writer Adam VanOsdol at avanosdo@indiana.edu.