IU takes 30 shots, wins 2-0

The scoreboard at Bill Armstrong Stadium looked out of place Wednesday night by posting numbers more suitable for a football game when IU (11-3-1) beat Louisville 2-0.\nIU mounted 30 shots, forced 13 corner kicks and required Louisville goalkeeper Tyler Wilcox to make a career high 10 saves.\nIU senior goalkeeper Jay Nolly could have taken the night off, only having to make one save to post a shutout.\n"I never felt threatened by them," IU coach Mike Freitag said. "I knew sooner or later we would get another (goal). I thought we would (get) another one and another one, but that didn't happen."\nFor the fifth time in six games, IU sophomore midfielder John Michael Hayden scored a game-winning goal, and for the second time in two weeks it came on an own goal by the opposition. Hayden sent a corner kick just in front of Louisville's crossbar where Wilcox tried to grab it but fell into his own goal. Hayden was credited with the goal.\nAfter not scoring in the Hoosiers' first 10 games, Hayden has become the team's second leading goal scorer in just six games, with five goals this season.\n"That first goal against Michigan was a confidence booster," he said. "I realized I can go to goal and I can actually put them away. Just from a standpoint of confidence I've gone up and that's what's helped me."\nHayden scored the first goal of his collegiate career against University of California at Los Angeles in the NCAA semifinals last year and has suddenly shifted to one of IU's biggest offensive threats.\n"In high school, I went on a streak where I had a hat trick in four games, but that was high school," Hayden said. "That was nothing compared to right now."\nThe Hoosiers' second goal came when junior midfielder Pat Yates played give-and-go with fellow junior midfielder Brian Plotkin. Plotkin hit Yates streaking up the middle and Yates finished with a low shot to the bottom right corner of the net.\n"I'd say a lot of guys on the team are hitting (their peak)," Yates said. "It's kind of the end of the season and like coach says, this is when you see who's going to step up and who's not."\nThe goal was Yates' second of the season after scoring last week against Butler.\nSophomore back Julian Dieterle was pulled last minute to rest his ailing knee and freshman Greg Stevning took his place.\nIU has two more games left in their regular season schedule before they head to Ann Arbor, Mich., for the Big Ten tournament. The team will look to iron out the final kinks before reaching the NCAA tournament.\n"Our finishing has to be better," Freitag said. "When you create those chances that we did, you've got to put them away. That's something we'll keep on stressing the rest of the way out."\n-- Contact staff writer Brian Janosch at bjanosch@indiana.edu.