Hillel career program offers networking

Business Leadership Initiative connects real executives, students

Jewish business students interested in creating contacts for the future might wish to take notice of a club offered by the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center. \nThe Business Leadership Initiative, which began seven years ago at IU, brings business leaders and students together, creating possible networks and giving insight into various industries.\nJunior and the group's co-president, Adam Berger, said the club fosters interaction between students and executives.\n"Business Leadership Initiative gives Jewish undergraduate business students, or students who are business inclined but have another major, to interact with Jewish business executives," Berger said. "These individuals meet with our group to give some insight into the 'real' world. They offer a different perspective -- one that is usually very beneficial, into the microenvironment and what really lies ahead. We learn how many people got started and have moved through the ranks of their business or others who started their own business many years ago."\nSenior Rael Maze said the networking opportunities and the forum set-up benefit business, management and marketing students.\n"It's a fantastic way to begin making business contacts, as well as provide a forum in which to ask practical questions to real company executives," Maze said. "It's a terrific opportunity for Jewish students to learn from and network with some of the leading Jewish business executives in the country."\nRabbi Sue Shifron, executive director of the Hillel center, said the chance to network is important for students.\n"Networking is an essential aspect of one's future career," Shifron said. "It is important to learn this skill while still in college. Also, some students have gotten job interviews, jobs and internships through contacts they have made in BLI."\nNumerous business executives speak to the students, Berger said.\n"In the past we have had executives from Finish Line, H.H. Gregg, Keller and Keller and many more," he said. "We also have a sports caster coming from ESPN, and Roger Shiffman, the founder of Tiger Electronic. The individual usually has the opportunity to tell us their story and other advice. We then have a question-answer period. After we are done, the guest is usually very interested in talking with us, giving specific advice, looking over resumes and recommending people to contact."\nMaze also said the experience is positive for both the speaker and student.\n"BLI is a wonderful program for students and for the speakers, as well," he said. "They are often eager to share their experiences and offer insight into their success in the business world."\nBerger said students interested in the program are invited to apply.\n"We currently have approximately 70 members and are looking to increase to 110, or so," he said. "We would like all Jewish students who are business majors or have some interest in business to join and reap the benefits of the fabulous speakers."\nThe program itself received praise, Rabbi Shifron said. \n"We have received the highest programming award from International Hillel, the Haber Award, for excellence in programming for this program," she said. "It is being modeled on other college campuses."\nTo apply for the Business Leadership Initiative, visit www.indiana.edu/~hillel/gesherim/bli.html.\n-- Contact staff writer Colleen Carroll at cncarrol@indiana.edu.