Governor hopefuls ready for next bout

Gividen to join Daniels, Kernan for second debate

IU-Southeast will play host to the second gubernatorial debate Sunday between Republican candidate Mitch Daniels, Libertarian candidate Kenn Gividen and Democratic Governor Joe Kernan.\nThe debate is scheduled to last 90 minutes and will take place in the Richard K. Stem Concert Hall of the New Albany, Ind., campus.\nThe initial plan called for a 60-minute debate and excluded Gividen, a third-party candidate. But the Daniels and Kernan campaigns announced a change in plans Tuesday that included the Libertarian and an extra 30 minutes.\n"Mitch wanted him included from the very beginning," said Daniels campaign spokesman Marc Lotter. "It was the governor who was opposed to it."\nThe Kernan campaign offered similar rhetoric.\n"We actually had advocated including the Libertarian candidate from the get-go," said Kernan spokesman Scott Downes. "That's where it landed so we're happy."\nMeanwhile, Gividen said his presence at the debate would be necessary to ensure a fair race.\n"The voters need to hear our message," he said in an Associated Press article. "As of (Monday) night, we thought we were kicked out of the debate."\nThe format of Sunday's debate will be similar to the candidates' first session Sept. 28 at Franklin College. Beginning at 6:30 p.m., it will be moderated by Jack Colwell, political reporter for WNIT Public Television. Four local television and print journalists will comprise the inquiring panel.\nSpokesmen from the Daniels and Kernan campaigns both pledged to continue discussing the same issues on which they have clashed in the past. While both will flaunt their stances on job growth, Downes said Kernan will focus on affordable education and government reform, while Lotter said Daniels will discuss an end to "scandalous politics" and governmental mismanagement.\n"The big difference is the governor has a way to pay for his plan, unlike his opponent," Downes said. \nThe debate comes on the heels of the most expensive gubernatorial campaign in Indiana's history. According to an Associated Press article, the two frontrunners have raised more than $28 million in funds, exceeding the mark set last election of $19 million. \nDaniels and Kernan are locked in the closest race in recent history. According to a WTHR/Indianapolis Star poll released Oct. 5, the challenger Daniels holds a three-point lead at 46-43 over the governor. Three percent of those polled said they would vote for Gividen.\n-- Contact senior writer Rick Newkirk at renewkir@indiana.edu.