Committee planning ahead for Little 500 concert acts

Union Board working to gain student input

Many students were left disappointed when the Union Board failed to book an act for the annual Little 500 concert last year. Instead, students found entertainment by going to concerts at fraternities. \nBut this year, the Union Board committee members are working hard to ensure that the concert tradition will be back on, and will be bigger and better than ever.\n"Basically it's too early to know what bands we can bring," said Union Board Concert Director and senior Jeff Hasson. "Most agents won't talk about spring concert tours till November or December. They don't think that far in advance"\nThat is not to say Hasson is not working on it. Every Tuesday at 6 p.m., students can come to the Indiana Memorial Union to meet with Hasson and his committee to suggest ideas for bands they would like to see.\n"The meetings are just to throw out ideas," Hasson said.\nRight now Hasson is open to any suggestion. Starting over winter break, the Union Board will begin to contact musician's agents, but as of now, they are concerned with student input.\n"It is a lot of negotiating, but agents are always open to listening," Hasson said. "Incubus will have a big effect on who we can get. It's been really exciting and a summer's worth of work. Incubus will give us a good track record with other artists and give them a good idea of how much money they can make here."\nSophomore Cody Coppotelli plans to attend the upcoming Incubus concert at the IU Auditorium on Nov. 7. \n"It's a great thing, I'm really looking forward to that show," he said. "The smaller setting will make it more fun."\nAfter attending Bone Thugs 'N' Harmony and Guster concerts at the fraternities during Little 500 last year, Coppotelli said he is holding out hope that the UB will book some big name acts.\n"That's great that frats provide other shows," Hasson said. "Those provide a different atmosphere and the more music the better."\nAnother artist playing at IU Auditorium is Willie Nelson on Dec. 9. Hasson said the relationships he has built with current acts are key in bringing future ones for the Little 500 concert series. \n"(Last year) we tried to sign five different artists," Hasson said. "Either we didn't have the money to back them or their tour was on the East Coast or they weren't touring. They want a lot of money just to fly in for one show."\nFor now, Hasson said he encourages students to participate in Union Board meetings, adding suggestions of who they would like to see come to IU. For information on the meetings, or to make suggestions, e-mail concerts@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact staff writer Cecelia Wolford at cwolford@indiana.edu.