Sounds of Poland come to Lotus Fest

Warsaw Village Band brings hardcore folk music to festival

In ancient Greek mythology, the lotus was a fruit that was said to produce a drug-induced state in those who ate it. The flower was mentioned by Homer in "The Odyssey," "all they wished was to stay in the land of the eaters of lotus/ drowsily nibbling the fruit and forgetting their hopes of return." \nIn a few short days, the streets of downtown Bloomington will fill with people of all ages looking to forget any idea of returning home. The Lotus World Music & Arts Festival returns to Bloomington Wednesday featuring more than 30 performing artists from all over the world. Named for Quinten Lotus Dickey, a gifted folk singer, songwriter and musician from Orange County, Lotus Fest serves as a tribute to a man named an Indiana State Treasure. \nIn its 11th year, Lotus Fest offers many events, both free and ticketed. One such ticketed event will feature the Warsaw Village Band, a Polish band that focuses primarily on preserving traditional Polish music -- with a twist.\n"We use only traditional instruments, but in a modern, strong style," said band member Wojtek Krzak via e-mail. "Although we play on the violin, Polish fiddle, dulcimer and drums, this is not dead music. We put into old instruments a fresh energy."\nSelf-described as a hardcore folk band, the Warsaw Village Band features six musicians ranging in ages from 16 to 25. The band was created as a response to narrow-mindedness, something the band felt would lead to the destruction of human dignity, according to its Web site, www.wvb.terra.pl. Desperately wanting to preserve traditional music, the band traveled the Polish countryside asking help from their elders.\n"They took the trouble and time to teach us because they felt that if we didn't preserve their kind of tradition, then nobody would," a member of the Warsaw Village Band told Folk World magazine. "We saw ourselves as the ones chosen to keep on with Polish musical tradition, the only chance for our traditional music to be continued at all." \nTheir latest album, People's Spring, released in 2002, was chosen as the top folk music album in Germany, the U.S. and Poland in January 2004. \n"In 2003 there was interest from both Lotus Fest and the Chicago World Music Festival to present the Warsaw Village Band," said the band's agent Hugo Rampen via e-mail. "But there wasn't enough interest from other presenters to construct a full tour. So when I came on board in the fall of 2003, I used the original two interested festivals and built a tour around them."\nUsing electronic remixes and traditional instruments, such as the hurdy-gurdy -- an instrument similar to the bagpipes -- and the suka -- a Polish fiddle strummed with the player's fingernails rather than the fingertips -- the band earned international recognition with a recent nomination in the newcomer category of the BBC Radio 3 World Music Awards.\n"(The nomination) opened a whole new world for us," Krzak said. "It's amazing how many places we saw and will see because of our music. If you tell me that next year we will play on Mars, I wouldn't be surprised."\nWhile most Bloomington residents are not familiar with traditional Polish music, Krzak believes experience with world music can do more than entertain.\n"World music teaches tolerance and knowledge about nations, ethnic groups and other cultures. It will open your mind to differences. One love. Peace," he said.\nThe Polish Studies Center, 1217 E. Atwater Ave., will hold a buffet reception in honor of the band at 12 p.m. Friday Sept. 17. \n"The purpose of this reception is to give students and community members a chance to meet and talk with these musicians apart from the concert setting," Polish studies Program Assistant Joan Chamberlin said. "If you have friends or colleagues who might be interested, bring them along."\n-- Contact staff writer Jennifer Griffin at jdgriffi@indiana.edu.