Knight's next episode: his own

Former coach agrees to consult CBS, Paramount on new sitcom for next year

His antics on and off the court draw people in from all over to see what he will do next. So CBS and Paramount television have decided to base a sitcom on the life of Bobby Knight. Now fans and critics alike will have the opportunity to see another side of Knight they may have never seen before.\nCBS and Paramount Television have struck a deal with Knight to create a television sitcom based on his life. The character will be based on his crazy style. The Executive producer for this future sitcom will be Lindy DeKoven from CBS. But, the show still has to be approved by CBS before it will air, and a writer for the sitcom is yet to be announced, so no specifics on the show were released. Knight approved the deal about three months ago, and it is expected the show will not air until a year from now. \nThis would not be Knight's first appearance in the media outside of basketball. He has also been involved with television commercials for companies that sponsor Texas Tech basketball. In the past, Knight has been involved with books and movies.\n"A Season on the Brink" by John Feinstein was the best-selling sports book of all time. The book was a documentary of the 1985-1986 season, when Feinstein was granted permission by Knight to have an inside look at the team. In 2002, ESPN released the movie version of the book. \nKnight has also written his own autobiography and has released books about coaching techniques.\nBryant Paul, who is an assistant professor in the telecommunications department, feels the show could definitely draw some attention in this area, and also around the country. \n"In this area, it certainly will be because he is still a pretty polarizing figure," Bryant said. "It obviously has some sort of lure because it is beyond a wacky person you watch to see his antics every week. He has a past." \nPaul also mentioned that Knight has a lasting effect on the Bloomington community because of the contributions he made to the University.\nSome people around campus are anxious to see what the sitcom will be like. \n"As someone who really enjoyed Bob Knight, I think it would be a really interesting show. I could see it being an enjoyable show," freshman Nick Beckert said. \nOther people will watch the show to see that other side of Knight. \n"People would watch it to see the more personable side to Coach Knight. The side you can't get on ESPN," sophomore Ryan Black said. \nThe show is still looking for a writer, and after the script has been written, DeKoven will take it to CBS for approval. According to The Associated Press, Knight will be a consultant for the show and will make a few guest appearances during the season.\nSophomore Paul Sigfusson feels that because of the legacy Knight left at IU through his basketball experiences, he will draw viewers for the show. \n"He is a very inspirational person. I think people will watch the show because he is an icon and a figure to Indiana University," Sigfusson said. \n-- Contact staff writer Chris Hopper at chopper@indiana.edu.