Deficit, new upgrades, football program all concerns

As Rick Greenspan inherits the IU athletics director position, he also inherits a litany of hot-button issues and controversial projects. \nIssues with which Greenspan will have to deal as IU's fourth athletics director in the last five years include lifting the athletics department out of the red, as they have been maintaining a budget deficit of over $1 million for the past three years, a football program that hasn't been to a bowl game since 1993, a $30 student athletic fee, and a recent proposal by Terry Clapacs, vice president of administration and chief administrative officer, for a $65 million upgrade in athletics facilities.\nGreenspan realizes the amount of work it will take to turn the program into the right direction. \n"There are lots of challenges, and how we try to measure them and tackle them is critical," Greenspan said. "I'm not a wizard and don't have a genie in a bottle. It's care, concern and credibility -- people believe in what you do because you've been successful before."\nWhere Greenspan goes, success follows, as both times he was in the athletics director position, the programs had turnarounds.\nIn his most recent position at the United States Military Academy at West Point, he served from 1999 to 2004 and helped fuel an aggressive facilities upgrade and an increase in fund raising.\nBoth issues are ones that currently concern the athletics department.\nFrom 1993 to '99, Greenspan was at Illinois State University, where he guided the program into having a reserve of $5 million in the budget.\nFor Greenspan, being honest has been the policy in terms of fundraising.\n"The first sale is easy, but the second sale is the hardest because they have to know you are genuine," he said. "I've always tried to be honest and forthright with the donors of special gifts and try to make them feel good about the gift."\nFinding a leader that turned programs around and got them going in the right direction was a quality Herbert was looking for, he said. \n"At West Point, he developed an athletic master-plan that led to improved and needed facilities that were largely developed through private support and created excitement for athletics through creative and profitable broadcasting and marketing efforts," Herbert said. "We heard nothing but positive comments about his high ethical standards, his philosophy, values, his administrative style and his leadership abilities. "\nDealing with students is an important issue for Greenspan, as he plans to make himself as visible as possible by attending practices and meeting with the Student Athlete Advisory Board.\nThroughout the press-conference, Greenspan represented a down-to-earth personality and a knack for cracking jokes about himself, including one about his recent hip replacement.\nThis is exactly why Linda Herman, interim director of athletics at Illinois State University, feels Greenspan is a well rounded leader, she said in a statement.\n"Rick is a strong communicator who understands the profession from both the coaching and administration sides," Herman said. In looking at the future of IU athletics, Greenspan said two things are needed: stability, and collaborative and dynamic change.\nBut with the problems facing the athletics department today, Greenspan knows he has his work cut out for him.\n"I'm not going to lie: It is a hard job," Greenspan said. "If it wasn't, there would be a long line of people for AD jobs."\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.