Baseball fund-raiser to benefit play group

Teams given 24 hours to create 10-minute plays

While Major League Baseball players have months to prepare for the playoff series, Bloomington Playwrights Project teams get only 24 hours. This weekend the BPP proudly presents its Playoff Series, a baseball-themed fund-raiser. \n"We needed an idea for a profitable fund-raiser," said Sonja Johnson, BPP development director. "(Our artistic director) had done something similar to this with another group, and it was very successful, so we decided to try it."\nNow in its third year, the Playoff Series has proven a productive fund-raiser.\nThe series features nine teams representing Major League Baseball teams. Each Playoff team will have an owner (BPP donor or sponsor), a manager (playwright), a coach (director) and two or three players (actors). \n"The writer will pick the director's name out of a hat, then the director will pick the actors and so on," explained Jenny Rouse, BPP Playoff Series producer. "It is completely random to make sure we don't have unevenly distributed teams."\nAll teams are given a theme, prop and short line of dialogue. They then have 24 hours to write, direct and stage a 10-minute play.\n"The fun thing is that while each team has the same line of dialogue, the theme is subject to interpretation," Rouse said. "Each play is completely different from the previous one."\nThe theme, prop and line of dialogue are hidden from the teams until a press conference Friday reveals them. The press conference is open to the press and public and refreshments will be served.\n"What is the most unique about this show is the enormous amount of teamwork," said Rachael Himsel, BPP public relations director. "To come together and produce a 10-minute show in 24 hours, it's intense teamwork in a short period of time."\nCompared to all the activities available for students in Bloomington, Himsel said she feels the BPP Playoff Series show will be the most unique and exciting. \n"There won't be anything else like this because we'll be showing all new plays," Himsel said. "Nine plays that no one (has) ever seen before -- there's nothing else like it."\nJust as sports teams count on audience support and participation to win the game, the Playoff Series teams will also look to the audience for help. Audience members (or fans) vote for their favorite team at the end of the Series. The winning team and manager will be revealed at a post-game party on Oct. 2. \n"The Playoffs is proof that despite time and pressure, performers can get together and produce something that looks like it's been rehearsed for months," Rouse said in a prepared statement. "It also serves to prove that even when under severe pressure, theater can still be fun and fulfilling."\nNew writers are encouraged to participate, but literary manager and past Playoff Series writer CATrueblood warns those not willing to work hard.\n"It's fun, yes, but a whole lot of work. It's intense. You might be up the entire night working on your piece," he said.\n-- Contact staff writer Jennifer Griffin at jdgriffi@indiana.edu.