Who said soft rock's for sissies?

By associating soft rock with the likes Michael Bolton and Rod Stewart, you might cringe at the mere mention of the genre, but the fact is light rock is popular today with Train, Dave Matthews Band and others leading the passive-aggressive assault. Coming from the small/independent Flameshovel Records out of Chicago, The Race, offers a new batch of the sweet stuff with its third full-length, If You Can, which mixes soft rock with the sounds of emo. \nWith a minimalization of spacey electronic keyboarding and samples, If You Can strays from the spaceship and ventures into a calm prairie. The natural vibe of the easy-sounding guitars, light drumming and soothing vocals paint a peaceful picture not unlike the writers of 19th century romanticism. By creating this spiritual aura (think Tool by way of Coldplay), The Race offers an alternative to the dark romanticism which is so popular in today's gothic heavy metal. Overall, listening to this album is like strolling through a steppe surrounded by serene sounds. \nHowever, The Race also express an upbeat side with the Radiohead-esque "Rose." The band also offers a hip beat in "Sinking Feeling," a melancholy vibe in "The Hours Eat the Flowers" and additional placidity with the concluding "Out Like a Lamb."\nDespite its enchanting feel, the only weakness of this nine-track record is that it barely reaches a half an hour.