Benjamin blasts college rock

With so many hard rock bands out there, it's difficult to decide what albums to buy. Looking for music that I can relate to, I took the silly route and found a band sporting my first name, which happens to play my kind of music. \nImpressed by three songs from its first album, Saturate, I decided to give Breaking Benjamin's sophomore effort, We Are Not Alone, a try. The band has moved from alternative metal, full of mesmerizing synthesizer samples and sound effects, to a mainstream version of college rock, which concentrates on a straightforward sound of the traditional quartet formula -- bass, guitar, drums and vocals. A step down from heavy metal and a bit happier than grunge, this is an accessible form of hard rock. \nThe record is intermittently creative and enjoyable, yet derivative and short. This is not the best that current rock 'n' roll has to offer, but it's not bad either. Many of the songs follow the formula of hard verses and softer choruses, as well as grooving bridges, hooks and feel-good guitar solos. \nWe Are Not Alone includes an impressive video for "So Cold," the dark and eerie single that opens the album. "So Cold" and "Believe" are the only two songs which remain heavy all the way through, while "Forget It," "Rain" and others show the lighter side of Breaking Benjamin. It's too bad the whole affair wasn't harder.