Student attends G8 summit roundtable

Fulbright Scholar relays concerns of Iraqi women

Fortune has been smiling on Dalia Kaikhasraw since her arrival at IU in February to participate in the Intensive English Program.\nKaikhasraw, a Fulbright scholar from Sulaymaniyah, Iraq, attended the G-8 summit at Sea Island, Ga., last week. \nShe spoke at a roundtable discussion on global women's issues which Laura Bush, Cherie Blair and Bernadette Chirac participated in.\nKaikhasraw, who has met with President Bush, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Iraq's Coalition Provisional Authority Administrator Paul Bremer and U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan before, is modest about her achievements at the conference. \n"I was proud that the voice of my people and the women of Iraq could be heard," she said. "I spoke about my personal experiences and presented my thoughts on education, women and rebuilding infrastructure in Iraq."\nShe said she was impressed with the first lady, Blair and Chirac's eagerness to assist Iraq's reconstruction.\n"When I told them that 77 percent of the women in Iraq are illiterate, they were shocked and they asked how they could help," she said. "They cared about every single thing I talked about." \nKaikhasraw said that sipping lemonade and holding an intimate conversation with the first ladies was a unique experience.\n"I had the opportunity to dine with the first ladies of the most powerful countries in the world, and it was wonderful," she said.\nKaikhasraw recounted her experiences of life in Iraq to the three first ladies. Laura Bush quoted Kaikhasraw in a White House press release. \n"One of them said -- and this happens to be the Fulbright scholar who's with us. She said, you know, when people think about Iraq, they don't think of the right thing. They're not thinking of 25 million people with hopes, with each one with their own hope for the future. And I think that's a good way for us to think about both Iraq and Afghanistan," the first lady said in the the release.\nKaikhasraw has left an equally powerful impression with her acquaintances in Bloomington. Alvin Rosenfeld, professor of English at IU, contacted Kaikhasraw when she arrived because she happened to share her first name with his daughter.\n"When my wife read about Iraqi Fulbright scholars and spotted the name Dalia, she could not resist contacting her," Rosenfeld said. "Since then, we have opened our home to her."\nRosenfeld said Kaikhasraw has been through some terrible suffering. \n"She has survived the most horrific ordeals like the gassing of her village, an exile and even temporary blinding," he said, "Most of her friends are no longer alive but despite all these odds, Dalia has managed to retain a strong and positive spirit."\nRosenfeld said he admires Kaikhasraw's strength of character.\n"Her life history is gripping, but she refuses to be devastated," Rosenfeld said. "But she has inner resources which have won my respect and affection."\nNonvignon Kpadonou, Kaikhasraw's classmate in the IEP program, appreciates her maturity and ability to tackle difficult situations.\n"Dalia handles every situation with a high level of maturity," he said, "I have learned from her how to consider the viewpoint of everybody concerning a situation."\nKaikhasraw said she has been constantly learning from her IEP classmates and increasing her awareness of other cultures. \n"I have learned a lot from my classmates about different countries like Japan and Korea," she said. "This has made me more aware of the differences and underlying similarities between nations and cultures."\nWhen Kaikhasraw is not attending lectures, she can be spotted at the photography section of the IU Art Museum or at a recital in the music school. She is looking forward to graduate studies in public policy at Duke University this fall, but she said IU will always remain in her memory as the first place she visited in the United States and where she became acquainted with American culture.\n"I will miss my friends in IEP and the tranquility and beauty of Bloomington's lakes and forested areas," she said. "I am also not sure if I will get such excellent falafels and Afghani food in Durham (N.C.)," referring to the city Duke is located.\nKaikhasraw plans to return to Iraq after completing her masters degree. Rosenfeld is confident of Dalia's success in her professional life. \n"She has a strong work ethic, intelligence, strong analytical skills and is a natural team player," he said. "Her talents combined with her forward looking vision make her capable of significantly contributing to the restructuring efforts in Iraq."\n-- Contact staff writer Sheeba Madan at smadan@indiana.edu.