IU begins search for new AD

Committee formed to assist President Herbert in selection

For the third time in four years, a new athletics director will lead the IU athletics department, IU President Adam Herbert announced Thursday.\nHerbert also announced the formation of a 16-member committee to choose the next director, which will be chaired by IU Alumni Association President Ken Beckley.\nThe committee is composed IU community members, including the IU trustees, faculty, coaches and athletics department employees.\nThe committee will begin work immediately and has a great opportunity to form the the future of IU athletics, Herbert said in a statement.\n"Like all other fields of endeavor at IU, we strive for excellence in athletics," Herbert said. "We have before us a unique opportunity to shape the future of IU athletics in a manner that reflects the values and high aspirations of the University."\nThe committee will replace current Athletics Director Terry Clapacs, who has managed duties as both athletics director and the vice president for administration and chief administrative officer since Nov. 8, 2002. Clapacs assumed responsibility of the athletics department when former Athletics Director Michael McNeely stepped down from the position after being hired on March 1, 2001, holding the position for only 16 months.\nBeckley said it will be important to find a director who wants a long career at IU.\n"It is very important that we have a strong feeling from the candidates who are selected as finalists, and will want to have a long career with Indiana University," Beckley said. \nThe committee will be working closely with Herbert throughout the search process and hopes to submit three to five candidates in August as finalists. A candidate for the athletics director position should be selected in September by Herbert, Beckley said.\nHerbert will make the final decision, but has asked former IU football coach Bill Mallory to assist in the process along with Beckley and business professor Bruce Jaffee, one of the 16 chosen for the committee.\nJaffee has experience in the search process as he has been involved with many athletic and academic searches, including the searches for current men's basketball coach Mike Davis and football coach Gerry DiNardo.\nBeing involved in many searches before will aid him in the process this time, Jaffee said.\n"Its a big advantage for me having experience," Jaffee said. "I have a better feel now for an appropriate background in the athletic ranks."\nIn the quest for a new athletics director, the committee plans to open up the search to many fields and professions. Among those are associate athletics directors, applicants from professional and collegiate associations and athletes with business backgrounds, Beckley said. The committee expects internal and external candidates.\n"We are starting with a clean slate. No one is on the list at this point," Beckley said. "To be an athletics director at IU would be a prime position in the United States in athletics -- something a lot of people would want."\nThe search for the new athletics director will begin as the committee holds its first meeting today at 4:30 p.m at Bryan Hall.\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.