Saturday, June 15

'Field of Dreams:' The ultimate guy movie

In this critic's humble opinion, "Field of Dreams" is one of the 20 best movies ever made. Superficially, it could be considered a sports flick, but dig deeper and you'll find a film whose mind is further steeped in fathers, sons, second chances and spirituality. \nNot being exceedingly close to my own father (though, we possess a mutual love and respect for one another), "Dreams" serves as a conduit between us. Regardless of what's going on, if we're in the same place and the movie's on the tube, we'll drop whatever we're doing and watch it together -- both having a good cry and bonding for having done so. Luckily, moments such as these can be all the more frequent with the release of a new two-disc anniversary edition DVD.\nThe plot's pretty well-worn, so I'll be brief. Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) hears a mystic voice stating the now-clichéd, "If you build it, he will come." The "it" being a baseball diamond and the where being atop his cornfield. Soon enough, apparitions begin emerging from the remaining cornstalks; most prominent among them is the ghost of Shoeless Joe Jackson (a pre-"Goodfellas" Ray Liotta). Shortly after, the voice returns and Ray is summoned to Boston to abduct J.D. Salinger-esque author, Terence Mann (James Earl Jones). Together, they travel to Chisholm, Minn., where they happen upon ballplayer-turned-doctor, Archie "Moonlight" Graham (Burt Lancaster, in his last feature film). We all know where the movie proceeds from here, and it's a beautiful thing. \nThe special features, while OK, are nothing to write home about, which is unfortunate for a film of this pedigree. There's a few rightfully excised deleted scenes, a dry yet informative commentary track by writer/director Phil Alden Robinson and cinematographer John Lindley, a self-serving "Field of Dreams Roundtable," in which Costner and baseball legends Johnny Bench, George Brett and Bret Saberhagen kiss one another's asses in a most uncomfortable fashion -- with Costner being the worst offender. The highlight of the extras is "America's Stadium Trivia," which gives a comprehensive look into all of our country's Major League ballparks. The DVD's strongest aspect is the movie itself. With Father's Day quickly approaching, the disc would make one hell of a gift and may even spur the time-honored question, "You wanna have a catch?" What could be better?