Alumni honored at annual barbecue

Smith, Muhn receive awards for service to University

The IU Alumni Association honored an athletics broadcaster and an IUAA secretary for their contribution to IU athletics and the alumni association Saturday.\nIn a cream and crimson barbecue, the IUAA awarded Joseph Smith the Bill Orwig Medal for his contribution to IU athletics and Carolyn Birchler Muhn the Gertrude Rich Award for her work with the association.\nKen Beckley, president and CEO of IUAA, said the two honorees have contributed much to IU.\n"They are among the best that have ever been honored," Beckley said.\nSmith, who has been the sports director at WGCL-AM 1370 in Bloomington and a member of the broadcast team that covers IU football and basketball games for 20 years, said he was flattered to be chosen for the award.\n"I am awed to be included in such a list, which includes legendary coaches like Bob Knight," he said. "I had never even imagined in my wildest dreams that I would win this award, even though I have received some nice awards." \nSmith was named the Indiana sportscaster of the year in 1998 and inducted into the Indiana Sports Broadcasters and Writers Association Hall of Fame in 2003.\nSmith was personally acquainted with Bill Orwig, the person for whom the award is named. He recounted his first encounter with Orwig.\n"Bill Orwig called me Smitty as soon as I was introduced to him, and he insisted I call him Bill," Smith said. "Then he asked me if I worked hard and I said, 'Yes.'"\nMuhn was also pleased to be chosen for the award. \n"I feel honored," she said. "I have done volunteer work for IUAA for many years but the award was a surprise."\nMuhn, who graduated from IU in 1951, has helped establish the IU Alumni Club of DeKalb County and served as IUAA secretary from 1989 to 1994.\nMuhn has close connections with IU. Her fondest memories of her time at the University include meeting her husband. She was also actively involved with the Union Board while she attended IU.\n"I also enjoyed working at Union Board," she said. "I served on the Board of Managers, which was interesting." \nShe also worked closely with Jerry Tardy, former president and CEO of IUAA.\nHer daughters have continued the tradition of attending IU.\n"Five of my daughters went to IU, and so did their husbands," Muhn said. "Now three of my 11 grandchildren are studying here."\nSmith has also developed very intimate connections with IU.\n"I have formed many relationships at IU," he said. "I have come into contact with so many great people, and we have a lifetime bond."\nHe lauded Terry Clapacs' efforts to build a sense of community among all members of the athletics department. \n"Terry (Clapacs) has brought everyone in athletics together," Smith said. "He has been such an excellent vice president and director of the athletics department." \nSmith's most memorable experiences at IU include the opportunity to work with coaches like Knight and former football coach Bill Mallory.\nBeckley said Saturday was a perfect day for the ceremony.\n"The weather is perfect, and the cicadas are gone," he said.\nPresident Adam Herbert also spoke at the ceremony.\n"This event is special because it is also the anniversary of my announcement as 17th president of IU," he said.\nHe spoke about the alumni scattered across the globe and their contribution to keeping Hoosier values alive and well.\n"The IU alumni have supported IU's quest for excellence," Herbert said. "IU is a community of caring and compassion that focuses on the hearts and minds of its students."\n-- Contact staff writer Sheeba Madan at smadan@indiana.edu .