A Sermon of the hip-hop variety

There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster," recalled Dr. Evil in "Austin Powers." What Evil didn't follow up with is how endearing it is when an old hand holds his own, which is exactly what hip-hop veteran Erick Sermon continues to do on Chilltown, New York, the follow-up to 2002's React. \n"Chillin'" is by no coincidence the standout track on Chilltown. "Chillin'" samples the Public Enemy/Anthrax team-up "Bring the Noise" and features fellow vet Talib Kweli and up-and-coming female rapper Whip Montez. Another potential hit resides in his sample of Sean Paul's "Like Glue," dubbed "Feel It." \nSermon did the whole shebang on Chilltown, from executive production to, of course, rapping. His rap style isn't as flashy as the new guard, and his production doesn't have the cutting-edge flair as some of the super-producers, but it all works nonetheless. He raps as though he's hip-hop's older, wiser brother who warns and advises his young pups as they bask in hip-hop's current limelight, often mocking cats in the game chasing the paper trail. \nHis skit, "Matrix," compares the music industry to taking the blue or red pill. Take the blue pill like Sermon, and you won't sell shit, but you'll keep making records and be happy. Take the red pill and you'll move units but get no respect -- he cites Hilary Duff as an example -- the nerve of him to think that.