IU Media Relations to undergo changes

VP to have title change; spokeswoman to leave

In the latest change to the IU Media Relations department, IU spokeswoman Jane Jankowski will leave IU May 24 to work at an Indianapolis sports publishing company.\n"Even though she has only been at IU for two years, she has made a great impact on our office," said Bill Stephan, another IU spokesman who worked with Jankowski.\nManager of Media Relations George Vlahakis said she will be greatly missed in the office.\n"Jane's contributions will be here long after she has left the Bloomington campus," he said.\nJankowski could not be reached for comment at press time.\nIU President Adam Herbert has continued his restructuring efforts as Vice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations Stephan has a new title. He is now the vice president for university relations and corporate partnerships, reflecting an emphasis on relationships with the private sector.\nThe change, which was announced at the last IU board of trustees meeting, comes as a result of shifts in IU's dealings with both the state and federal government. Last month Herbert named Thomas Healy as vice president of governmental relations.\nHealy's job, a new addition to Herbert's lineup of vice presidents, will encompass relations efforts in both Indianapolis and Washington, D.C. Director of Federal Relations John Walda and the director of state relations -- a position left vacant after Don Weaver's retirement this year -- will both report to Healy. \nHealy, who worked as an assistant to the president of Florida Gulf Coast University, will begin working in Bloomington June 1.\nAs a result of the new vice president position, Stephan will no longer be in charge of government relations, but will still work closely with lobbying the state legislator.\nBoard of Trustees President Fred Eichhorn said the focus on the private sector will help benefit Indiana economically, which will give IU more importance when it comes to state funding.\n"Bill has such a knowledge of business and corporate communications that we thought this would be a good opportunity to increase economic growth in Indiana," he said. "Economic development is a big factor in what we do. One of the ways to improve the state's revenue is to help them in economic development. The change in his title recognizes the responsibility the University has to help Indiana grow economically."\nStephan said this is a "strategic" move aimed at bringing clarity and effectiveness to lobbying efforts at the Statehouse. Stephan's responsibility will also include the Office of Communications and Marketing, which he currently oversees.\nEichhorn said Herbert is considering other changes in restructuring, but does not expect anymore major changes soon. He said the search for a new dean of the Kelley School of Business and a new Bloomington chancellor will be the next big personnel changes IU will examine.\n-- Contact staff writer Adam Aasen at aaasen@indiana.edu.