The melancholic magic of Blonde Redhead

Blonde Redhead have succeeded in creating another collection of moody, somber tunes on their newest album, Misery Is a Butterfly. This most recent effort suggests an artistic step forward for the band, from their previous minimalism to Misery Is a Butterfly's more complex arrangements.\nBlonde Redhead is Kazu Makino (vocals/guitar) and Italian twin brothers Amedeo (vocals/guitar) and Simone Pace (drums). On Misery, they create a somewhat mellowed alternation between delicate, pained vocals and loud, angry songs than was apparent on their last album, Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons. \nWhile the band's previous music could be called arty or melancholy as well, the instrumentation and arrangements of Misery, such as the synthesizers on "Elephant Woman," take it to a new level of artistry. Highlights include "Falling Man," "Maddening Cloud" and "Magic Mountain," in addition to the title track.\nWhile some might find the vocals whiny or grating, on this album Kazu and Amadeo's voices work beautifully with the exquisite arrangements and synthesizers to create a haunting, sweetly melancholic mood.\nIf you have never been exposed to Blonde Redhead, Misery Is a Butterfly is a good place to start in this eccentric band's catalogue.