Student designer reflects on past for fashion show

When a small-town boy from Spencer, Ind., sets his sights on bigger dreams, many would call it impossible. This weekend, Jesse Deckard, a senior majoring in the fashion design program will prove with hard work and determination, anyone's dreams can come true. \nDeckard will present his final project in the form of a runway show titled "Because I'm a Woman." The show will start at 7 p.m. Saturday at the "Chicken Ranch." It will include 60 pieces with 17 different looks, all inspired by singer songwriter Dolly Parton. \nDeborah Christiansen, a fashion design professor, said Jesse excels at production and extravagance. The show will have a 50-foot runway, cocktails from 6 to 7 p.m, a free glass of wine for all in attendance and a reception celebration ball, including a performance by 2003 Miss Gay IU. \nExtravagance and going all-out has always been a part of Jesse's style. As a young boy, he used his creative talents to enhance whatever it was he was creating. Growing up, Jesse was a member of the 4-H club. He said he didn't have much of a life because he was always working with cows. \n"I won the herdsmen award every year," he said. "I would doll up the stalls and transform the area into huge exhibits and themes and built on them every year."\nDeckard said his career choice is a far cry from the farm boy he used to be. \n"It is interesting the path I have evolved from. Coming from the background I come from, you would never think I would be doing what I am doing," Deckard said. \nWhat he is doing is following his heart and working to become a designer for his role model Dolly Parton. His inspiration has won him several awards in fashion competitions and the chance to intern at Bill Blass for three seasons. \n"He is a very talented young man," said Michael Vollbracht, head designer at Bill Blass. "He is diligent and a hard worker. I enjoyed the experience working with him, and I hope he enjoyed it, too."\nDuring his internships at Bill Blass, Vollbracht said Deckard was able to work with top models in the industry, help put together the runway shows and accomplish everything he was asked to do.\n"I think the experience was beneficial to him," Vollbracht said. \nDeckard said he has always liked being able to create. He loves party-planning and big, fabulous events. He has decorated for weddings since he was 13 years old, and his upcoming show isn't too far from what he has done all of his life. \n"My show is like a big, gay wedding," he said. \nThe collection is named "Esseja Creations," and Deckard said the show will feature a wedding dress, the best drag queens in Indiana and colorful and racy looks inspired by country singer Dolly Parton. Dolly has been a big inspiration to Deckard since he was in the second grade. In high school, his appreciation for the singer grew because of her love of diversity. \n"I grew up in a community that turned it's head on diversity; Dolly always had something positive to say about diversity," Deckard said. "A vast majority of her fans are gay men. She loves that she is represented, and people love her it's her following." \nDeckard said eventually he started looking at Dolly not as a person or what she had to say, but for her clothing. The clothes in the show are based on Dolly Parton's DD chest and small waist. \n"It is extremely difficult with a chest that big and a waist that small," Deckard said. "It is like putting six yards of fabric in one seam." \nThough the process were challenging, Deckards talents prevailed. All of the female looks are a reflection of Dolly and her "town trash" inspired look. The male pieces are a reflection of Jesse and his pride for his sexuality. \n"The line is inspired by fetish and homoeroticism," he said. "I wanted to convey what I think of sexuality and my sexuality." \nHis designs feature black pants with a sheer front panel that lace up the side with a G-string. Another look for men is a pair of red pants that lace up the sides with silk and a matching female outfit made of red silk brocade with flounces in the front. The models will be wearing wigs and platform thigh boots in red, silver and gold to match the sexy outfits. \n"The models will be playing characters on the runway," Deckard said. \nThough a runway show isn't a requirement for the seniors' presentation of their collections, Christiansen said the show will definitely be a reflection of Jesse and his inspiration.\n"A huge, over-the-top runway show is not a requirement of the program nor is the number of ensembles he created, but this was his dream and desire, and he wouldn't have done it any other way!" she said. "It is Dolly Parton inside and out."\nFor more information about the show, contact Deckard at essejacreations@yahoo.com.\n-- Contact assistant arts editor Patrice Worthy at pworthy@indiana.edu.