Saturday, June 15

N.E.R.D. 'In Search Of ...' something new

N.E.R.D.'s latest sure to 'Fly' off shelves

N.E.R.D. broke out from behind the boards two years ago with its critically acclaimed (and rightfully so) debut, In Search Of…. The group comprised of super-producers du jour the Neptunes (Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo) and fellow Virginian vocalist Shay have issued a follow-up, Fly or Die, and while very good, it may not be dug by the masses.\nThis record is a completely different beast than its predecessor. Where In Search Of… is essentially a straight ahead hip-hop album, albeit a really well done one, Fly or Die is a musical melting pot. Funk, punk, folk, pop, hip-hop and soul are integrated into a cohesive whole that's both entertaining and interesting, though, it may take a few listens to fully ingratiate yourself with the band's burgeoning sound.\nThe most conspicuous cuts off the record are actually its least compelling. Leadoff single, "She Wants to Ride," leaves something to be desired in spite of its side-splittingly stupid lyric, "Her ass is a spaceship I want to ride." Ditto the title track, "Fly or Die," which falters in lieu of prototypically proficient production and poignant subject matter -- the chorus is simply irritating and redundant.\nThe guest appearances, which normally undercut most hip-hop records, actually work to great effect here. "Jump," features a surprisingly tolerable turn by the Madden Brothers of Good Charlotte infamy. But the real showstopper is "Maybe," featuring masterful musicians Lenny Kravitz on guitar and the Roots' ?uestlove on drums. This is soul/rock at its finest.\nFly or Die oscillates between idiocy and integrity with great aplomb. "Don't Worry About It" is a track tailor-made for a Friday night kegger with its incessantly catchy chorus, "She's bad-bad-badass!" Without a doubt, this overtly sexual funk nugget will burn its way into your brain and you'll be all the dumber for it, but at least you'll be having fun. "Backseat Love" picks up where Prince left off in 1984, so ladies keep your distance from the speakers lest you get pregnant. In the midst of such stupidity comes "Drill Sergeant," a number which is simultaneously pop and political. When Pharrell sings of his fear of blowing up, you get the idea he's speaking literally as opposed to figuratively. Fellow artists take note: this is the way an antiwar song should be done.\nN.E.R.D. have relegated Spymob, the backing band off the first record, instead opting to play the instruments themselves. In doing so, neophyte guitarist Hugo leads the band through honorable homages to Curtis Mayfield ("Breakout"), Burt Bacharach ("Wonderful Place") and Stevie Wonder ("The Way She Moves," Chariot of Fire"), all of which are further propelled by Pharrell's stirring falsetto. Unoriginal, sure, but in spite of everything else, these guys make the old seem new again.