A bag for all occasions

While flipping through my April issue of Vogue, I stumbled across a letter to the editor about one of the most important accessories a woman can have, the handbag. The writer, Jessica Scicchitano, said she never understood the rule of fashion for having one must-have handbag per season. I must say, I completely agree, I have never had one bag for one season. I know there are must-have bags, but one bag -- that is crazy. \nWhat is a girl to do on a date if she is wearing a pink skirt and has a brown handbag. If anyone needs an excuse to have multiple bags, college is it. I have found in college you have to have a bag for books, and even that bag has to look good. I prefer a black bag for my books, but of course I have to be able to take it anywhere. I personally like cloth bags for my books, but right now I'm using a black Kipling bag one my my writers brought back for me from New York. The black bag is convenient, considering most of the school year takes place during fall and winter, and who can resist New York black? \nNow spring is here there are so many different colors to choose from. Right now, I am using my orange Coach oversized tote for just about everything. I am in love with that bag, just because it is orange and no one is wearing an orange bag. I see lots of girl with the pink bag and the Louis Vuitton bags, but I have always gone against the grain. The orange Coach bag suits me fine, plus orange is a color that is in this season. As I began examining my bags, I realized something. None of my bags are the standard handbag or purse. I have a Liz Claiborne brown leather purse used for interviews and conservative day and afternoon settings, but everything else is meant to be something else and is doubled as a handbag. \nIn an attempt to save money, I have begun using makeup bags as purses, especially for parties. I have a bag from Bath and Body Works that is a makeup bag but works even better as a purse. It is the perfect size and shade of irridescent sea green. I like to use this bag in the summer, when I go out to lunch. \nRecently, I sent one of my fashion writers on a mission to bring me back a bag from New York. She brought back a MAC makeup bag. When I saw the bag, I didn't think of makeup, I thought\n"Ohh this will be so cute when I go out." The bag is a small black pleather clutch bag with white stitching and a round silver zipper puller that fits perfectly around my finger. When I wore it to a fashion show, no one knew it was a make-up bag. In fact, I received compliments. \nYou have to have multiple bags for all occasions. A www.msn.com article encouraged women to have multiple bags. The last time I was at home, I went on a shopping spree in Victoria's Secret. I accidentaly walked out of the store with one of those shopping bags you aren't supposed to take. Now it is mine, and I will definitely wear it this summer when in NYC.\nEvery woman should have one for work, play and dressing up. A simple black bag for school works, but a leather bag in orange, red, brown or green is great because those colors can go with different outfits. You should also have a bag for just sitting around and having fun and a bag that is an expression of your own personal style. But please, please avoid the backpack handbag at all costs, because the tiny shape does not look good on top of an adult rear end.\nLast summer in New York, a lot of people were wearing bags shaped like shoes. I didn't give into that particular trend, but I just obtained a catalog from Frederick's of Hollywood that has a purse shaped and decorated like a corset. So I guess all I have to say about the one-bag-per-season rule is, what rule?