The 'Secret' is out: Depp rocks

Writer/director David Koepp adapts Stephen King's novella "Secret Window, Secret Garden," which concerns a writer, Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp), who secludes himself in a cabin after discovering his wife cheating on him after 10 years of marriage. While hiding out in the cabin, Rainey sleeps all day, talks to his dog and walks around the house in his pajamas eating Doritos. It isn't until Rainey is approached by a Mississippi native by the name of John Shooter (John Turturro), who accuses Rainey of plagiarism, that a series of mysterious and unfortunate incidents begin.\nThe most attractive part of this movie is Depp himself. After scoring incredible popularity and praise for "Pirates of the Caribbean," viewers will be happy to see their favorite pirate once more in this psychological thriller. And although "Secret Window" tends to lose its suspense in sporadic moments throughout the film, male viewers can use these low points in the movie to envy their new idol, Depp, and female viewers can dream about what it would be like to curl Depp's newly dyed-blonde hair around their fingertips. \nEven though this movie is considered more of a drama, there are a few moments throughout the film during which I found myself chuckling along with my fellow audience members. And although Depp makes a few comical comments during the film, I was most amused with Turturro's character, John Shooter. Shooter can be classified as the typical hick. He extends all of his syllables and speaks in a very drawn-out, southern accent. He walks slowly and he also wears a black hat (which looks like something one might find in an old chest in the attic) to intimidate his rival, Rainey. \nOther characters who appear in the film include Rainey's soon-to-be-ex-wife (Maria Bello), the new man in her life (Timothy Hutton) and Rainey's lawyer (Charles S. Dutton).\nI must say, even though several moments throughout the film lacked suspense, I enjoyed it overall. Since I had not read King's book before watching the film, I did not foresee the ending -- which is a plus to me since I hate figuring out an ending while only a half-hour in.