Saturday, June 15

'Spartan' proves sword mightier than pen

Say what you will about David Mamet: the man can write. I can think of few stage or screenwriters who use the immensely versatile word "fuck" with such aplomb (okay, Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith come close). In giving the coarse class, Mamet has turned obscenity into art. I respect this. You should too.\nSadly, his directorial chops just aren't up to snuff with the written word. Scripts scribed but not directed by Mamet include: "The Untouchables" and "Glengarry Glen Ross" -- both classics. Compare this to films in which Mamet sat in the director's chair. His debut, "House of Games" is nothing more than its title suggests -- a parlor trick. "Oleanna" is based on one of his stageplays, and it shows. "Heist" did little more than pilfer seven dollars from this critic's pocket. This brings us to "Spartan," Mamet's tenth film, and while it's a marked improvement (his criminally underrated "The Spanish Prisoner" notwithstanding), there's still something to be desired.\n"Spartan" casts Val Kilmer as Scott, a cool-as-a-cucumber Military man sought to reclaim the President's abducted daughter (relative newcomer Kristen Bell). Longing to aid him in the mission are Curtis (the likable Derek Luke) and Jackie Black (Tia Texada). Scott, lone badass that he is, rebuffs such notions of teamwork with the assertion, "If I want camaraderie, I'll join the Masons."\nSuffice it to say, the girl's kidnapping may not have been accidental, and thus, political cynicism runs rampant throughout. Such skepticism would be welcome were it not for an overall lack of wit, i.e., Mamet's trademark. The aforementioned line of dialogue and another ("Do you want to gossip or do you want to shoot somebody?") are about as pithy as things get. Also, the film is far too oblique. The President, while obviously the President, is never seen or referred to as such. Hence, barbs fly, but targets are murky. Lastly, when the considerable talents of William H. Macy and Ed "Al Bundy" O'Neill are squandered, something's obviously amiss.\nThat's not to say "Spartan" doesn't have its strong suits. Kilmer stoically underplays his role, though he can't wrap his tongue around Mamet's dialogue with the proficiency Alec Baldwin did in "Glengarry." A mid-movie con game (another Mamet staple) and two unexpected but deftly executed death scenes also elevate the material considerably. I just wish Mamet would give me my cake and allow me to eat it too.