Shock, awe and flashbacks

My morning cartoons had just ended, so I started channel surfing. One thing was evident as I searched my seven TV stations -- all of them had live feed of police officers, firefighters, Red Cross workers and ambulances scrambling around everywhere. Then came footage of people sitting on the ground, one hand covering a wound, the other holding a cell phone to their ear, presumably telling loved ones they were alive.\nThen my brain began to register some of the words from the news caster, such as "estación" (station) and "Atocha." I froze when I heard Atocha. It's a large train and subway station in the city, and some of my friends live around the area. Some take the bus to class and others the subway. Which route were they taking today? Were they among those sitting on the sidewalk? Scared and worried, I finished my morning regiment with my eyes glued to the TV for updates and footage of the situation.\nRight as I was turning off the TV to leave for class, a cameraman was able to get a shot of the disaster area at one of the other two train stations that had been bombed. Horrific images of a charred train with its roof blown off filled the screen. I feel guilty saying this, but right then, I breathed a sigh of relief. My friends don't take the above-ground train anywhere but rather the underground subway. The attacks were on trains, not the subway. My friends were fine. I continued to watch as the video captured firefighters laying metallic clothes down over objects. It took a few seconds to realize they were covering up corpses.\nI felt safe taking the bus to school the previous Monday but worried about my friends who take the subway. What if the same people who bombed the three train stations bombed the subway? What if they had more attacks in store?\nDuring class, several students came 20 or 30 minutes late, but my professor didn't mind. He told us he'd normally be angered by that type of behavior, but that day, it meant his students were alive and safe and that's all he could hope for.\nAll the students checked in at their program offices to let the advisors know they were alive and safe. Then it came time to call our parents. My dad seemed a bit mad when I called him and told him to call me back on my cell phone at 5 a.m. Indiana time. His anger melted away and his voice filled with relief when he heard what had happened and that I was safe.\nAfter letting my parents know I was safe and later sending an e-mail to all my friends and relatives letting them know I was alright, the reality and aftermath began to set in for all the international students. It wasn't an attack on Amercians or Spaniards but against the Spanish government. \nNewscasts replayed footage of bloody victims, but not all were alive. All day long, analysis and coverage of the attacks reigned over TV programming. Then came the positive aspects of the tragedy. All over Spain, in the major cities, thousands of people gathered in plazas to pay their respects with a moment of silence. Thousands gathered all over the country at blood banks and Spanish Red Cross buses, waiting hours to donate for the injured. Some had to be told to return the next day because so many wanted to give blood. Thousands congregated in plazas with signs, chanting "ETA, ¡No!, Vascos, ¡Sí!" in protest of the terrorist group responsible for the attacks but in support of the culture the group represents.\nThe aftermath of 9-11 mirrored this day so much. At first, everyone walked around with shock, awe and the preoccupation they knew someone involved. They made sure to contact loved ones to let them know they were alive. In honor of those who lost their lives, they then did everything they could to help the cause and help the victims. If I could give blood here, I would. I want to help, but I'm not sure how. All I know is I have a little bit more fear about being in large, crowded places, but this attack isn't going to change my life or habits here. I came here to live, and that's what I'm planning on doing.