Sammy raises more than $1,000 in Bounce for Beats benefit

While NCAA basketball furor was in full swing Sunday, Sigma Alpha Mu hosted its own version of March Madness. \nThe fraternity hosted its first annual philanthropic 3-on-3 basketball tournament, Bounce for Beats. Money raised during the event will be donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.\nThe event kicked off at noon at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation's Wildermuth Gym. The majority of the 36 teams comprised of fraternities and sororities and one team from Sigma Alpha Mu, also known as Sammy, competing to even out the bracketed double-elimination tournament. \nBeta Theta Pi freshman Chris Ross signed up when he was informed by his fraternity.\n"We heard about it at our chapter meeting," Ross said. "There's some stiff competition."\nThe other members of Sigma Alpha Mu helped out registering teams, keeping score, refereeing, announcing and selling pizza. All involved were able to enjoy a laid-back atmosphere and popular musical selections played by DJ Wild Child. \nAll those who participated received a T-shirt with the Bounce for Beats emblem on the front and names of sponsors on the back. Still, the winners of the event received more substantial prizes. The third-place team received $10 gift certificates to Panera Bread Co.; the second-place team received $25 gift certificates to T.I.S. Bookstore; and the eventual champions, Alpha Tau Omega and Delta Delta Delta, were presented with $40 gift certificates to Best Buy.\n"The most rewarding part of the event was watching a successful philanthropic event come together, in which everyone, both playing and helping out, had a great time," said Sammy publications chair Andy Trus. "It was also great that, while having a great time, we were able to help out a very deserving charity close to Sigma Alpha Mu." \nThe Bounce for Beats program is Sammy's national philanthropy. Every chapter raises money with the theme of bouncing basketballs, each bounce representing the beating of a human heartbeat. This is Sammy's 10th year associated with the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, which is the national leader of non-profit organizations in support of pediatric AIDS. In addition, the foundation donates funds toward research in hopes of curing other life-threatening pediatric diseases.\nIn industrialized nations, research and intervention have led to effective methods of reducing the mother-to-child transmission of HIV to less than 2 percent. Through education and effective low-cost intervention, thousands of lives can be saved in developing nations, according to www.pedaids.org.\nThe Bounce for Beats basketball tournament involved hours of preparation and coordination, resulting not only in success for the Sammy fraternity, but the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation also, raising over $1,000.\n"It's going to be a yearly event," said Sammy philanthropy chair Lawrence Hurwick.\nContributions are still being accepted for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation via Sigma Alpha Mu. They can be sent to 409 S. Swain Ave., Bloomington, Ind., 47401.\n-- Contact staff writer Ryan Want at rwant@indiana.edu.