Oscar-nominated director to share movie

Controversial film made to inspire student protest

Bill Siegel, co-director of the Oscar-nominated documentary feature, "The Weather Underground," will present the film at 8 p.m. Friday in the Collins Living-Learning Center. \nSiegel, a Chicago-based educator, documentary filmmaker and co-founder of The Free History Project, has also worked on other documentaries such as "Muhammad Ali: The Whole Story" and "Hoop Dreams."\nThe directors of the film have both expressed high hopes for the documentary. \n"We hope the film can help spark discussions about activism and protest, as well as serve as a springboard for people to investigate the connections between recent history and today's situation," Siegel said. \nA question and answer session with Siegel will follow the film around 9:30 p.m.\nThe film tells a true story about a controversial group of young people who, during the 60s and 70s, tried to violently overthrow the government. They were strongly against the war in Vietnam and angry about the racism occurring in their country. Their demonstrations included bombing the Capitol building, breaking Timothy Leary out of prison and a string of other bombings, including two dozen public buildings during their "Days of Rage." In this way, they attempted to bring the war home to the United States. \n"We felt that doing nothing in a period of repressive violence was itself a form of violence," said Naomi Jaffe, a former member of The Weather Underground on the film's Web site, www.upstatefilms.org/weather/nytreview.html. "That's really the part I think is hardest for people to understand."\nThe movie raises a lot of questions and forces viewers to think about society and where they stand on certain issues. \n"We really made the film for young people trying to find their voice and role in the world and who may be largely unaware of this incredible period of youth activism and progressive politics of which the weathermen were a part of," Siegel said.\nSiegel said the film can help young people think about non-violent ways to dissent.\n"I think this is a tough time to be a young person figuring out the most responsible and effective ways to dissent if you are not satisfied with what the Bush administration is doing," he said.\nThe documentary explains that the group's actions began as a nonviolent movement and they adopted the armed struggle to make their statement heard loud and clear. \n"In light of Sept. 11, I think this film is very relevant. It is not pro-violence, but makes us consider the tactics we use to confront problems," said Yara Cluver, arts coordinator for Collins LLC.\nIU is just one of the many campuses where the film will be shown. Co-director Sam Green is also traveling around the country showing the documentary and facilitating discussion. The directors are hoping the hype from the nomination will get the film back in theaters and cause more people to want to see it. \n"I'm particularly excited to see the interest it is generating on campuses all over the country," Siegel said.\nOrganizers said the movie has been widely advertised and many students have shown interest. \n"I think it is great that the director is coming to present this Oscar nominated film," said sophomore Eric Rivera, a Collins resident. "I wish there was more of that sort of thing at IU; actually I wish there was a film department, period."\nMany of the members of the Weather Underground, now in their 50s and 60s, agreed to be interviewed. Some lived underground for years hiding from the FBI, but now, decades later, all have moved on. Many who were wanted by the FBI are now teaching at universities, running juvenile justice programs and working for foundations that promote women's activism. \nBut according to film's Web site, it seems ironic to most that when many of the members surrendered themselves, they were never charged because the FBI had violated so many laws during the hunt. \nThis documentary, five years in the making, shapes the story of "The Weather Underground" that some have forgotten, but many younger generations have never heard. \n-- Contact staff writer Jacquelyn Janowski at jjanowsk@indiana.edu.