IU hopes offense will keep streak alive

After a slow start Saturday at the Hoosier Invitational, the Hoosiers' offense took off Sunday.\nIU (19-16) only mustered three runs during Saturday's two losses to Western Kentucky and Notre Dame. The team, clearly frustrated from Saturday's outing, gained its confidence back Sunday by beating St. Louis twice with a combined score of 16-4. \nThe Hoosiers, who have won seven of their last 10 games, faces the University of Chicago-Illinois (11-15) Wednesday. The Flames are on a winning streak of their own, winning six of their last eight games.\n"Both teams are coming into tomorrow's game with a lot of confidence," IU coach Sara Hayes Nottger said. "Both teams are going to come out aggressive. We both have good hitters, but I think we have the advantage with our pitching." \n"They just beat Stanford, who is one of the best teams in the country," senior Val White said. "We just have to play our game and avoid playing their style of softball, and we will be successful."\n"We have to bring our bats against Illinois-Chicago," Nottger said. "Our pitchers have to take control in the pitching circle, as well so that we can keep their powerful hitters off-balance and off-rhythm." \n"We see our game tommorow as preparation to start the Big Ten season," freshman Kim Richards said. "We have to make sure we are doing all of the little things right so that we are ready for Michigan later this week." \nWhite said she sees this game as a building block for the weekend.\n"The team is really excited about playing tommorow," White said. "We have to make sure we're all on the same page so we can start the Big Ten season on the right foot." \nThe Hoosiers start their doubleheader against host University of Chicago-Illinois Wednesday. The first game begins at 4 p.m. and the second at 6 p.m. \n-- Contact staff writer Mark Carlson at mecarlso@indiana.edu.