Haydn Oratoric Blows Away

A spectacular combination of vocal and orchestral talent was displayed before a packed Auer Hall Sunday, as the IU School of Music presented the monumental oratorio "Die Schöpfung" ("The Creation") by Franz Josef Haydn. The concert lasted about two hours and was given in memory of A. Peter Brown, a late professor of musicology at IU who was considered among the foremost experts on 18th century music. Brown performed his edition of "The Creation," considered to be the definative piece, on Sunday.\nAn oratorio is a large-scale work for chorus and orchestra with a religious theme. Among the most famous are those of the English composer George Frideric Handel, which include "The Messiah." Handel's oratorios so impressed Haydn during his stay in London that they inspired him to write one of his own, which was first performed in 1799.\nThe libretto was written by an Englishman named Lindley, who based it strongly off John Milton's "Paradise Lost." Haydn's friend Baron Gottfried van Swieten rewrote the English version, translated it into German, and then re-translated it into English for publication of the first bilingual edition. It is very common to hear van Swieten's English version performed in the United States today, but Sunday's performance was in German, with a translation given in the program. Since it was the German text that was set to music, it was felt that performing the work in German would be truer to Haydn than English.\nConsidering the enormous challenge performing this work posed to all parties involved, special congratulations should be given to them for giving a first-rate performance. At the center of it all was conductor William Jon Gray, whose ability to manage the orchestra, the chorus and the soloists can only be described as outstanding. What was undoubtedly a very daunting challenge was executed so smoothly that it seemed second nature, and Professor Gray deserves credit for that.\nThe IU Chamber Orchestra, the IU Singers and the IU Chorale all did a remarkable job in their execution of the piece. Though it does not rank as technically difficult as many other works, the ability to give life and character to this piece is not only difficult, but also can make the difference between a moving performance or a dull concert. The abilities of the musicians and singers to give such a vivid interpretation required not only skill and practice but insight, as well.\nSpecial attention should also go to the soloists. The three angels -- Mi Young Park as Gabriel, Alan Bennett as Uriel and Sam Spade as Raphael -- sang expressively and passionately and displaying remarkable endurance. Soprano Georgina Joshi as Eve and baritone Jonathan Stimson as Adam also lent their voices to great effect in the performance.\nThe overall effect of the concert was as impressive as Haydn intended it to be. It was powerful, beautiful and moving -- a fit memorial to a member of the IU staff.\n"The Creation" will be performed at 8 p.m. Tuesday at in Auer Hall and admission is free.