Talents shine through poetry, music

Established and aspiring poets will take the stage to express their feelings through their works at Union Board's Poetry Slam from 9 to 11 p.m. tonight.\n"Poetry Slam gives students the time to read their thoughts through words and music that they might not get the chance to do," said Mary Hansell, co-director of Celebrate the Arts, a Union Board committee in charge of the event. "It is a time for them to share their work and others to enjoy it."\nThe Poetry Slam will take place in the IMUG Cafe, which is in the south lounge of the Indiana Memorial Union. The event is free and coffee and cookies will be served for all to enjoy while waiting to perform or just relaxing and listening to the works of others. The room has a coffee house atmosphere and is often used as a place where students come to study between classes. \nThe artists will sign up for what they will be performing and then will perform by order of the sheet.\nAlthough it is not a contest with prizes at the moment -- depending on the popularity and how the poetry slam goes -- organizers said it could turn into a permanent competition one day. Right now though, people come and perform their works, while others come to enjoy listening to other peoples' works. The artists are not restricted to expressing their own works as they are free to read and perform poems and popular songs they have heard of or enjoy.\n"I think Poetry Slam is a great outlet that is offered to students who might not be in the English or music field, yet still like to write and perform," said Eleni Peters, co-director of Celebrate the Arts.\nPeters, who performed in the Poetry Slam last semester, is hoping for a good turnout this semester and is working with Hansell on promoting it.\n"We are expecting between 40 and 100 people this time and hope to have a few more slams this semester, as well," Hansell said.\n"The Union Board is broken up into a couple of different committees and the Poetry Slam falls under the Celebrate the Arts committee," said Kathleen Hampton, assistant director of Celebrate the Arts. "Not only do we do the Poetry Slam, but in the fall we did a play and 'Hoosier Idol.'"\nCelebrate the Arts also is in charge of the UB magazine, 'Canvas,' as well the Film Fest that occurred a few weeks ago.