McFuzz, Horton hear a Hoosier

Three IU alums reunite as cast members in "Seussical The Musical" at IU Auditorium

Every year, many students in the IU Theater and Drama and Music departments journey to New York in the hopes they'll make it big on the stage. The competition is stiff, and the odds are tremendous. But now and then, things fall into place for a few lucky individuals. \nAnyone who doesn't believe it just has to ask Steve Morgan, John R. Armstrong and Charlie Mechling. The three met as students at IU and since then, they've kept in touch with one another through auditions, traveling, big breaks and let downs.\nThis weekend, they'll return to Bloomington together as cast members in "Seussical The Musical." The show is based on the works of Dr. Seuss -- Theodore Seuss Geisel -- and focuses mainly on "Horton Hears a Hoo", "Gertrude McFuzz"and "The Cat In The Hat". Mechling, Armstrong and Morgan play the trouble-making trio, the Wickersham Brothers. Though they deny causing any trouble offstage, they make this statement with an audible wink in their voices. The singers have worked together on previous sets. They attribute past experiences together to the ease with which they blend their talents. \n"We auditioned at different times, but we ended up together. It's a pretty rare occasion to be cast as a trio with people you know," Armstrong said. "It's very comfortable being on stage among friends. Whatever we do, it's going to work out because we're on the same wavelength." \nThough Morgan and Mechling graduated in the class of 1999 and Armstrong graduated in the class of 2002, they have kept in touch. The three performers have been roommates and co-workers, and though life has taken them in different directions, they keep tabs with each other. The men have strong ties to IU and Bloomington that keep them coming back. \n"We can't get away from it and wouldn't want to," Mechling said. "It's an awfully small world ... our paths will cross again." \nThe actors have received a great deal of support from the cast and directors and feel fortunate that they have granted them the freedom to develop their roles. \n"It's the comfort level. We're never afraid to try something new," Mechling said. "With our rapport, it allows us to really grow." \nThe Wickersham Brothers are very active characters, and the trio often has to rise to the challenge. \n"We have some of the most physically demanding roles, especially energy wise." Mechling said. "We're constantly jumping around ... there's a lot of athleticism."\nThe "Seussical" performance is the first tour for Morgan and Armstrong, and they have learned a lot The biggest challenge has been keeping the play fresh after so many performances and keeping it away from what Armstrong calls "the dark side," where it becomes stale and lifeless. \n"We rehearse for two weeks and perform for six months," Mechling said. "It's hard to keep your mind active and to grow in your role." \nThe show travels the country with two tractor-trailers, millions of dollars of equipment and the original costumes from the Broadway production. The most exciting part for the actors, though, is bringing it all to audiences. \n"We're getting paid to do what we love, to have fun, sing and dance," Morgan said. "It's the most rewarding thing on earth."\nThough Dr. Seuss usually appeals to children, the three actors feel it can be appreciated by all ages. \n"It's not just a kids show ... it applies to all ages. Dr. Seuss really talked about a lot of issues ... There are lessons for everyone," Armstrong said. "You take away something you can apply to your life."\nThe performers said they are looking forward to coming back and being in the IU Auditorium. In honor of the occasion, they say they will incorporate a small IU cheer into the show: "We'll find a way."\n-- Contact staff writer Meredith Hahn at mshahn@indiana.edu.