Leading designers debut styles

Models, celebs, socialites gather for peek at next season's fashions

NEW YORK CITY -- New York City was the place to see and be seen last week when the world's leading fashion designers premiered their fall 2004 collections. This began Friday, Feb. 6 and will end Friday, Feb. 13. This year, New York Fashion Week was sponsored by Olympus, a leading camera manufacturer, instead of Mercedes--Benz, who is keeping their sponsorship at L.A.'s Fashion Week. The turnover brought with it changes, as coordinators put an emphasis on photographers. This season Olympus introduced Stylus Digital, and the new E-1, the industry's first all-digital SLR camera system. The company gave photographers the chance to test out the camera during the runway shows. \nThe semi-annual week-long extravaganza included exciting shows as well as a star-studded guest list. A-line models, celebrities and socialites congregated at the Bryant Park Tents to enjoy cocktails and get an exclusive view of next season's trends as they hit the runway for the first time.

Alice Roi \nAlice Roi hit the right note at her show by concentrating on silhouettes and how they shape the female form. Roi used light prints paired with rich warm colors for the winter. Her designs succeeded in radiating richness and class but also provided sex appeal. Layers of lace transformed her collection from the seriousness exuberated by her heavy wool jackets, emulating a more feminine and girly sensation.\n"I was inspired by the Art Nouveau movement," Roi said. "I learned how to mix hard and soft."\nRoi's mix of femininity appealed to many of the audience members. \n"I just love Alice Roi," said actress Brittany Daniel, who is currently promoting her next film "White Chicks" with the Wayans Brothers. "She's got hot pants! I love how the front always looks sweet and girly and the open backs are so sexy."\nRoi dressed many of her models in long gloves, which added a touch of class to each style. Long gloves are a popular accessory seen on many of the runways this season. Other common accessories included shrugs, wraps and scarves made of fur. Fur was incorporated into casual daywear as well as glamorous evening wear.

Chereskin\nRon Chereskin delivered a refined look with a casual sporty attitude which he integrated with moderation.The styles were realistic but appeal to the modern woman with taste. Notched collars, bolero jackets and box-pleaded skirts made Chereskin's fall line a mix of working girl with fun cuts. \n"Our inspiration comes from observing the modern, urban woman on the street and in restaurants, night spots, museums and galleries," Chereskin said about his collection.\nHis line consisted of shades of black which he contrasted with white. His accessories included black and white chunky knit and tweed bags, scarves and hats.

Nicole Miller\nNicole Miller continued her line with inspiration from previous seasons.This season, Miller added color mixes inspired by tapestries, wall hangings and Victorian images, with a hint of military influence. She used rich colors, such as teal and plum. Her line was sexy and feminine, using chiffon ruffles and lace strips. She favored long gloves and fur additions as well to dazzle up each design. Soft satin and antique beads gave a decorative charm to her designs.\n"I use pastels for the spring and neutrals for winter and fall," Miller explained. "I'm just following the story. Last season was my shipwrecked girl and this season she was rescued only to find her wardrobe in disarray -- you know -- frayed around the edges."\nMiller's fall collection is the latest in hot new fashion trends but is not her latest hot new venture. Miller will introduce suits and coats this fall through a new licensing deal with Donnkenny Apparel, according to her chief executive officer Bud Konheim. The new collection will consist of three segmented price groups: Nicole Miller Collection, Nicole Miller New York and Nicole and Co. by Nicole Miller. There has also been talk about a potential sportswear deal, but it has yet to be confirmed.

Perry Ellis\nThe Perry Ellis collection illustrated its familiar classic/prep look with elegance. Models stood still around the runway as their attire was examined by spectators. The women's collection was inspired by Donna Reed, star of the 60s television show, "The Donna Reed Show," and consisted of neat, symmetrical tailored coats with feminine chiffon skirts. The men's collection was inspired by 30s fashion with an Art Deco feel and a modern twist, Jerry Kaye said. Kaye was inspired by images of what 1920s actor Howard Hughes' style would be today while designing the men's line. Anna Wintour, editor of Vogue magazine, reviewed the collection as "individual" and "fantastic."\nFall 2004 Olympus-sponsored fashion week has officially begun. So far the NYC runways have reeked of sassy, sexy and sophisticated styles. The scene at Bryant Park has drawn in everyone from Barbara Walters and Laura Bush to Billy Joel and singer Mya. The season is becoming defined by a fetish for dyed fur, sleek satins, a slight comeback with animal prints and fiercely cut fabrics that flaunt attitude. Already established designers have kept their lines alive and fresh while new designers emerged and shocked the crowds with their tasteful and stylish looks.