French Gypsy band stirs audience

Despite its reputation as the sound of wanderers, gypsy music proved the music of unity Saturday night. By the time "Les Yeux Noirs" got to the second song in their two-and-a-half-hour set, more people -- children, college students and older adults -- were dancing in the pit of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater than sitting in the seats.\n"Les Yeux Noirs" are renown on world music stages for their colorful, high-energy performances -- and Saturday was no exception.\n"Les Yeux Noirs" draws their name from a popular Russian gypsy romance "The Black Eyes." Founded by classically-trained violinist brothers, Eric and Olivier Slabiak nearly 10 years ago, "Les Yeux Noirs" mixes Roma and Yiddish music following the European transplantation of the American klezmer revival. \nThe band's repertoire ranges from traditional fast-paced gypsy tunes to "Yiddishe Mame," a classic Yiddish song that makes the heart wring with desperation and happiness at the same time. But the "Les Yeux Noirs" version of "Yiddishe Mame" keeps its lyrical beginnings even in its modernized, electrified interpretation.\nThe band's music broaches the question, "What is the relationship between Jews and Gypsies?" But "Les Yeux Noirs" effortlessly answers the question through their graceful arrangements -- Both were persecuted by the Nazis in WWII and others before and after that. Both groups have interacted and exchanged cultures throughout their histories. \nThe group's sound fuses violin, cello, accordion, electric guitar, cymbalum and electronic samples to create a unique sound stirring even the least musical of audience members.\nIn addition, "Les Yeux Noirs" unites musical traditions from Romania, Hungary, Russia, Armenia and France. The sextet gives a nod to Manouche (French gypsy) jazz as well.\nBoth the Slabiak brothers play lead violins, at once competing and joining for patches of songs. One of the most electrifying moments of the concert found the two brothers competing for audience attention. Eric Slabiak's bow ended up unraveling because of the virtuoso break-neck pace of the song.\nAnd even if some audience members didn't know how to dance to gypsy music, it didn't matter. The music infused the theater with a feel for a distinctive culture -- and the audience felt it. "Les Yeux Noirs" came back onto the stage for three encores before the audience finally allowed them a break. \nAs people trickled out of the theater, they were humming the melodies and dancing to the rhythm still ringing in their ears. \nAnd the spirit of unity and harmony that permeated the music throughout the concert wafted in the air.