Food of love

Have you been to the mall lately? Have you seen the Hallmark store? Then you've seen the sea of pink and you know Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Valentine's Day is a holiday some people love and others love to hate. Whatever your feelings may be about it, Feb. 14 is a reason to make some good food. \nThose of you who have a significant other and don't quite know what you want to do to make this Valentine's Day special, switch things up and make a romantic dinner for two. \nNot only will you be able to impress that special someone and show off your culinary talents, you can also save some money. Even if you aren't celebrating Valentine's Day with a special someone, have some of your friends over and eat this meal together. Who knows, romance may be in the air for you. \nThis salad is the perfect way to start a meal. The best part of romaine lettuce is the heart, and this salad is sure to get to the heart of your guest(s). The dressing is so light and creamy and the Parmesan cheese adds a great flavor.

Hearts of Romaine with Creamy Vinaigrette and Fresh Parmesan\n2 hearts of romaine lettuce (either pre-packed or remove the dark leaves of a head of romaine and use the lighter green leaves)\n1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard\n1 tsp. minced garlic\n1/3 cup balsamic vinegar\n1/3 cup olive oil\nSalt and pepper to taste\nFinely chopped fresh basil\nShaves of fresh Parmesan cheese

First wash the romaine in cold water and put it in a strainer to drain excess water. Tear into bite-size pieces. Next, in a small bowl, combine the mustard, garlic, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Slowly begin to pour the olive oil into the bowl, whisk vigorously and set aside. To shave the parmesan, take a box grater and use the three-blade side. Finally, place the torn romaine in bowls and drizzle with the vinaigrette (if the dressing has separated, whisk before putting it on the greens), top with the parmesan cheese shavings. \nIf salad didn't strike a nerve with your company, then this pasta dish is sure to do it. I found this recipe on the Internet and have made it many times. It has become one of my favorite pasta dishes of all time, and I am positive it will become the same for you!

You-Won't-Be-Single-For-Long Vodka Cream Pasta\n1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil\n1 Tbsp. butter\n2 garlic cloves, minced\n2 shallots, minced (you can find these at any grocery store)\n1 cup vodka\n1 cup chicken stock\n1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes\nCoarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste\n1/2 cup heavy cream\n12 oz. pasta, such as penne\n20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn\nCrusty bread

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots. Gently sauté the garlic and shallots for three to five minutes. Carefully pour in the vodka. Make sure your pan is on low heat, or the vodka will flame. Reduce vodka by half, which will take two or three minutes. Add chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble. Reduce heat and let simmer. Season with salt and pepper. While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted water al dente -- a bit firm to the bite -- usually five minutes. Stir cream into the vodka sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Serve immediately, along with crusty bread. \nThe recipe serves four, but is intended for two people who want seconds. I can assure you ... you will want seconds. If you are going to have a group over, simply double the recipe. \nValentine's Day is never complete without a decadent dessert. And what would a dessert be without chocolate? To me, nothing is more decadent than chocolate covered strawberries. Strawberries are great by themselves, but dipping them in chocolate is even better. You can say so much by making your date or friends this dessert!\nChocolate Covered-Strawberries\n6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped \n3 oz. white chocolate, chopped \n1 lb. strawberries with stems (about 20), washed and dried very well

Put the semisweet and white chocolates into two separate heat-proof medium bowls. Fill two medium saucepans with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat and set the bowls of chocolate over the water to melt. Stir until smooth (Or you can melt the chocolates in a microwave at half power, for one minute, stir and heat for another minute, or until melted. I prefer melting the chocolate over the hot water. It produces a smoother chocolate.). Once the chocolates are melted and smooth, remove from heat. Line a sheet pan with waxed paper. Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the fruit into the dark chocolate, lift and twist slightly, letting any excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Set strawberries on the waxed paper. Repeat with the rest of the strawberries. Dip a fork or toothpick (you can create designs with a toothpick) in the white chocolate, and drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped strawberries. Don't eat them yet! Allow the chocolate to set on the strawberries -- about 30 minutes. \nYou can serve the strawberries alone, with a chocolate cake of some sort or ice cream. An alternative to pre-making the chocolate-covered strawberries is having a bowl of melted chocolate and a variety of fruits to dip in the chocolate. \nFondue on Valentine's Day would be an extra treat! \nSo this Valentine's Day, do something different -- create a new flair and cook for your sweetie or best buds. Remember the key ingredient in cooking is love -- no matter on what holiday.