Auditorium rings with 'The Sound of Music"

When seeing a musical performance upon which a popular film has been based, it is difficult to put aside one's expectations in order to remain objective. This was certainly the case at the IU Auditorium last night for "The Sound of Music". Like most people who have seen the movie on television or video many times over the years, I found it difficult to imagine anyone other than Julie Andrews in the role of the singing governess, Maria. As the night went on, however, it became easier to see clearly what worked and what did not in this show.\nThe play opened to a sparsely-filled house. This lukewarm reception was in some ways indicative of what was to come. Sound difficulties, an accompaniment that occasionally lacked in vibrancy, and sets which wore out after the first act awaited the patient, but less than enthused audience. Most disappointing was Lindsay Northen's "Maria". Julie Andrews aside, this role was completely miscast. Though Northen was very endearing and talented, her brassy voice and impish appearance would have been better suited to the lead roles of "Annie" or perhaps "Once Upon a Mattress". She had energy, but it was unfocused and awkward, much like a child in a recital. Her voice had power without poise, something that could have been forgiven for the nature of her character if her delivery hadn't been quite so flat and unpolished.\nTo say that the show wasn't good would be too far a stretch, however. There were many points worth mentioning which will ease the minds of season ticket holders and encourage tardy purchasers. Jim Ballard's Captain von Trapp, for example, was exemplary. His stage presence was formidable, and the resonance and richness of his voice was well worth waiting until scene seven of Act I. The grace with which he allowed his character's emotional defenses to be broken and music to return to his heart was especially moving. The audience as a whole seemed to agree as the scene ended and the house erupted in applause.\nLikewise, the supporting cast was worth the cold journey to the auditorium. Most notable was the ensemble of nuns which appeared regularly in the show. Their harmonies can only be described as heavenly. Their tone, articulation and balance were all near perfection. Sister Margaretta (Brooke Buice) was darling, and the Mother Abbess (Joanna Hill) performed her part with professional eloquence despite what seemed to be a terribly irritating cough which constantly threatened to silence her operatic voice.\nFor those who are partial to the movie version of this classic story, it should be noted that there are at least a few songs to which theater-goers were treated that cinema-lovers may never have heard. This alone made the show stand out. Don't take the word of this reviewer, though. There's still time to see it for yourself. It's family-friendly so even children with no familiarity with the show will be entertained. Despite its shortcomings, it makes for an enjoyable evening, and if nothing else, how often does one get to hear a nun yodel?