Phoenix Society seeks unique topics for lectures

During college, students are exposed to topics such as global warming, international politics and affirmative action. What is not given is a venue to thoroughly explore the ordinary. This is why the Phoenix Society of Gentlemen and Ladies was founded this fall by Collins Living-Learning Center residents Kristen Peach, a junior in the Individualized Major Program for screenwriting; sophomore political science major Andy Shapero; sophomore comparative literature major Scott Shoger; and junior philosophy major James Bourke.\nThe Phoenix Society is a lecture series that tackles not serious topics in a serious way in the spirit of knowledge, discovery, and infinite progress, organizers said. They said it was conceived with the notion that the mind is an organ that must be consistently exercised and stimulated through virtuous activities. Its exercises will include communal art, first-rate prose, anecdoted storytelling or travelogues and non-fictional lectures.\n"The Phoenix Society of Gentlemen and Ladies earned its name because the phoenix suggests rebirth and the gentlemen and ladies suggest sophistication, although it is a rather tongue-in-cheek brand of sophistication," Peach said.\nThe founders were directly inspired by a traveling lecture series, Trampoline Hall, that came to Collins last fall. Peach said the series inspired them because it truly united the audience through a shared and interactive experience. \nPeach, Bourke, Shapero and Shoger took this inspiration and began planning how to bring this type of circuit to campus permanently. \n"After that, it was easy for the four of us to work together because we had a shared vision," Peach said. "We knew what we wanted: an 'old-timey' approach to seeking knowledge, virtue, and artistic ventures."\nThe Society's first night of entertainment and education took place Nov. 16 at the Collins Coffeehouse. Topics ranged from business interviews and roofing to being a camp counselor to a presentation about Imagination Dimension and an original work by Peach.\nThe topics addressed by the Phoenix Society are not typical. Shoger said the storytelling element is also important because personal things are often overlooked, but when something is about someone's life and what is important to them, it is significant.\nWhen heavy topics are discussed, an expectation of expertise exists, organizers said. But the Phoenix Society is looking for lecturers who have general qualifications. This is why faculty and professionals will not be lecturing. This wish is also extended to the audience.\n"We want a supportive audience ready to learn about such topics as 'What is it like to have your mom for a teacher,' 'Trivial Pursuit,' and other topics that have no other venue to be taken seriously," Peach said.\nThe next lecture series by the Society will be presented at 8 p.m., Wednesday at the Collins Coffeehouse. Topics include crop rotation and the Peace Corps and will be intermixed with music and storytelling. \nA Diorama-Rama will also take place featuring dioramas depicting the structure and function or animal organs to be judged by the Society. \nThe Society will also host a Spelling Bee of Unusual Words at 8 p.m., Jan. 22 at the Collins Coffeehouse. Peach said the Society wanted to hold the event because spelling is the backbone of the American education system. Peach also said this is a return back to basics and a revival of the use of words such as 'jabberwocky.' Anyone interested in competing should contact Bourke at jbourke@indiana.edu.\nShapero said all the Society's events take place at Collins because it is a healthy environment and stimulates the atmosphere desired by the Society. However, the Society does not limit participation to Collins residents.\nThe Society hopes to present two or three more lectures next semester and is looking for people interested in speaking. Anyone interested should contact Shoger at sshoger@indiana.edu. Diorama entries will be accepted up to 10 minutes before the lectures begin. Anyone wishing to enter dioramas should contact Peach at kpeach@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact staff writer Liv Cole at olcole@indiana.edu.