IU students deal with 'real world' of fashion

Merchandising program thrusts apparel majors into industry

The fashion industry in the United States has become a phenomenon, attracting consumers as well as potential employees. \nIntense competition, rapid turnover rate, high demand and the need for new talent often cause a career in the world of fashion to be less promising than one might believe it to be. \nBut where exactly do these students end up and where do they even begin?\nAlthough Indiana is not considered the nation's fashion metropolis, IU supplies students with many of the tools and experiences an aspiring fashion merchandising student can anticipate in his or her career paths. \n"In my opinion the Indiana University Apparel Merchandising program is one of the best retail programs offered in the Midwest," said Jennifer Grady, an IU graduate and business analyst at Marshall Field's. "My experience proved to put me far ahead of other individuals with the same or similar retail degrees. The faculty's knowledge of the industry also put a 'real life' flavor into every project and lesson." \nThe fashion business grants employment to an increasingly large number of people each year, ranging from the actual manufacturing to buying and selling of apparel articles. \nFor many students the idea of a real job is intimidating. Young adults are often bewildered when the time comes to enter the working world.\n"You have to be aggressive and go after what you want," said senior Laura Barker, an apparel merchandising student. "It's never too early to get started looking into various careers."\nBarker said she is interested in corporate retail. She experienced the life of an assistant buyer at Nordstrom in Indianapolis and later landed an internship as the assistant buyer for Bloomingdale's in New York City. \nBarker said she believes she has benefited from IU's Apparel Merchandising Organization (an extension of the apparel department) as well as the annual career seminars she has attended, the next of which will be held Jan. 22. \n"AMO has had a major impact on my experience here at IU," she said. "It is through my contacts with the AMO that I was able to find out about internship opportunities and network with the recruiter's representative and retailers nationwide."\nBarker has accepted an offer from Bloomingdale's to join its Buyer Training Program in New York. She plans to stay with Bloomingdale's and eventually become a buyer there.\nSenior Rachael Rugh said she is grateful to IU's Apparel Merchandising program because the curriculum gives students insight into many different skills in the industry that are useful for a large array of professions. Rugh has interned for Coach, where she developed her aptitude as an assistant manager. \nShe is currently interviewing across the nation for prospective opportunities but said that location is not a factor in her quest. \n"It's not about where I live but associating with a company that offers long-term fulfillment and upward mobility," she said.\nIndiana is home to many of the century's names in designer apparel. Famous American designer Halston attended IU. Roy Halston Frowick grew up in Evansville and studied at IU before receiving his big break at Bergdorf Goodman, where he initiated a hat craze which marked the jump start of his career. The late Bill Blass is also a product of Indiana, growing up in Fort Wayne and rising high as one of the most influential Ready-to-Wear designers.\nGood fortune seems to be present for fashion careers originating in Indiana. New York and Chicago are the cities that many IU students migrate to in attempt to conquer a profession in the trade.\nFashion merchandising professor Janice Shaffer said she takes pride in her students' work, ambitions and well-deserved success. \n"The fashion industry is a business where there are many wonderful opportunities and challenges," Shaffer said. "Each day is different no matter what the job, and there are many opportunities for advancement. Our students are highly recruited by companies in the industry and they enter the industry with positions leading to a great deal of leadership, people interaction and financial responsibility."\nSome of Shaffer's students have already begun their careers. Senior Kate Coxworth has designed her own clothing line and created a fashion show for her premiere. \nBarker gave some advice about how to jump start their careers.\n"Take advantage of all of the fabulous resources you have here at your fingertips." she said. "Your professors and peers are all wonderful resources with whom you should network and make contacts. Get involved in AMO because many of the recruiters who visit campus know of AMO and will respond well to those involved. Go to career fairs because there will be no other time in your life when so many recruiters will come to you."\nRepresentatives from major companies such as Macy's and Sears came to IU for last year's Career Day seminar. They revealed their personal experiences in obtaining their current positions and answered students' questions. After the seminar, students were able to further inquire with the representatives and talk personally. For a few students, this event was the threshold that led them to future internships and jobs if recruited.\n"This is a very exciting time and there are numerous opportunities in the retail/fashion industry," Barker said, "so don't be afraid to explore."\n-- Contact staff writer Mallory Zalkin at mzalkin@indiana.edu.