Holiday classic returns to stage

'Nutcracker' to highlight lively dance sequences

The IU Ballet Theatre's production of "The Nutcracker" will play at 8 p.m. Friday, 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday at the Musical Arts Center.\nBallet professor Jacques Cesbron is reinterpreting choreography for this production. Cesbron is making this production similar to the one from last year. \nHe said his personal vision of "The Nutcracker" was to make it more lively and entertaining. \n"(I) want to make the dancing very entertaining," he said. "Like the Terminator 2 movie."\nThere will be many different kinds of dances from different cultures in the production, bright colors and grandiose stage props in dances including Drosselmeier, Arabian Dance and Russian Dance, among others. \nJulie Brumfield will be dancing both the younger and older lead of Clara, which is unique to this production, she said. Usually, the "Nutcracker" character is shared by two dancers. David Levy will dance the prince role, while Scott Harris will do the animated doll role. \nThe character of Uncle Drosselmeir, the magician, brings the doll to life after winning it back from the Mouse King. \nCompared to an average ballet, this "Nutcracker" will be "less dancing, more acting," Harris said. \nBrumfield and Jennifer Moll both agreed. Moll is one of the dancers portraying the Sugar Plum Fairy, the queen of the Land of Sweets, in Clara's exotic dreamscape. This character will be doing the pas de deux with the Cavalier character.\nIn addition to showcasing student talent in dance and music at IU, the ballet will be spiced up by outside talent. IU's Pre-College Ballet Program is lending its young dancers for several dances. These young dancers only have two opportunities per year to dance in a production of such scope.\nThe "Nutcracker" is the highlight, said the Pre-College Director Doricha Sales. The dancers have to be at least 7 years old to perform.\n"They can't wait until they are seven," Sales said.\nTwo professional dancers will be traveling here from the American Ballet Theatre in New York City to dance the 15-minute pas de deux during the Friday and Saturday evening performances.\nDancing the major roles is important for the IU dancers.\nMoll said it is nice to be on stage so much of the time, compared with a non-story ballet.\n"It's an honor to dance a major role in such a large production as this," Moll said.\nCesbron said the ballet will be both entertaining and action-packed.\n"(The dancing will be) very difficult, dynamic and emotional," Cesbron said.\nBrumfield, Harris and Moll also said their parts will be fun and challenging.\n"The Nutcracker" has traditionally been a fairy tale with magical appeal for people of all ages. \n"It brings the whole community together," Cesbron said. "Even the fathers of the young dancers will not want to go to the ballet, but this is 'The Nutcracker.' It captures the magic of the Christmas season. It is pretty much sold out every year." \n-- Contact staff writer Benjames Derrick at bderrick@indiana.edu.