Former, current students to celebrate prof's birthday

When renowned pianist Menachem Pressler entered this world, it seemed he was destined to be great. This is partly because the distinguished professor of music shares his birthday with one of the world's greatest composers, Ludwig van Beethoven.\nPressler, who began teaching at IU in 1955, will celebrate his 80th birthday a little differently this year. Hundreds of his current and former students will gather together to thank and honor him with a special concert, reflecting on his past teaching experiences. \nAlthough his real birthday falls on Tuesday, this commemorative event will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday in Auer Hall at the IU School of Music. It will feature a number of ensemble performances and special guest speakers. To account for the large number of former students traveling into town, seating is by invitation only. After these reserved seats have been filled, limited seating will be available to the public. \nStudents expressed interest in throwing something special for Pressler's 80th birthday. Doctoral student Melinda Baird, who threw his 79th bash, thought it was important to include some of the 500 that have passed through his studio over the years.\n"For him, his students are like his children. He's very nurturing and invests so much in his students," Baird said. "His life is his music; he never takes a sabbatical, he never takes a vacation … and he's been here for 47 years. He's become a real mentor to so many people."\nKeeping the students in mind, Baird went through class rosters dating back to the 1950s and '60s and sent out more than 300 letters regarding Pressler's birthday celebration. After the initial letter went out, word started to spread all over the world about the celebration -- people from Israel, Europe and all over the United States wanted to come. \nChoosing who would perform seemed a difficult task for this event, Baird said. She served on a committee of IU School of Music professors, department chairs, students and former deans that determined which students would represent the broad range of musical talent molded under Pressler's guidance.\nKaren Shaw, a former student of Pressler's and professor of piano in the School of Music, was one of the individuals chosen for the event. She will be performing with Brancart and former dean Charles Webb. \n"He'll be thrilled about the event, and I think he'll be very appreciative," Shaw said. "It's certainly something that is richly deserved by him in every way."\nIn 1994, Pressler was the recipient of the Chamber Music America's Distinguished Service Award. He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from London's Gramophone magazine and the German Critic's "Ehrenurkunde" award in 1998. In 2000, he was also inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Science. As a co-founder of the Beaux Arts Trio, he continues to perform more than 100 concerts around the world and has made more than 50 recordings with this widely-praised trio. Throughout his career, he has completed more than 30 solo recordings and continues to play solo recitals all over the world.\nBaird said Pressler's incredible work ethic, drive and determination help him reach his high standard of performance. His wife, Sarah, has also been "an incredible influence to the studio and his life." She interviews all of his students and determines which ones are willing to work hard and which ones would work well with her husband's personality.\n"He really has done a lot to build up the reputation of the music school. He came at a time when nobody knew where Bloomington, Ind., was," Baird said. "He is really responsible for bringing other prominent names to the music school and making sure that the reputation is strong. He's just been a key player in continuing to promote and build up the reputation of the music school here."\nMusic professor Glenn Gass said Pressler has made a powerful impact on the School of Music.\n"Menachem Pressler is one of the true giants who makes the IU School of Music such a special place, and we all get to bask in the glow created by having such a great artist in our midst," Gass said. "His presence and endless dedication to IU is a real source of pride for everyone connected with the school." \nShaw said, as one of Pressler's students, he offered her a great deal of assistance and wonderful advice when she was young and just starting her career as a concert pianist and a teacher. \nWith this event, it truly seems like students of the past and present are also trying to keep the School of Music's rich tradition alive. \n"(Planning this event) gives me a broader perspective on what I'm really doing," Baird said. "Although it is taking time away from my practicing, I think it inspires me in the long run to really want to embody the principles in this event because I see the effect he has had on so many people for so many years, and it makes me want to be a better pianist."\n-- Contact staff writer Mary DeBrunner at mdebrunn@indiana.edu.