USC, Oklahoma will still battle for title

The Bowl Championship Series is at it again, doing the one thing it seems to know how to do best -- create controversy.\nDespite slaughtering Arizona 45-0, USC dropped from the No. 2 spot in the BCS when the rankings came out Monday. Ohio State jumped past the Trojans and grasped the coveted No. 2 BCS ranking after squeaking by Purdue 16-13.\nOhio State, recently dubbed the "Luckeyes" for their ability to always pull out close games, were helped by two missed Purdue field goals including a chip shot 28-yarder with the game tied at six, and a 36-yard field goal in overtime that would have forced another overtime session. While I respect Ohio State and their ability to seemingly always find a way to win a game, they are not even in the same class as the Trojans.\nOhio State's offense is laughable at best, as they are only able to move the ball on the worst of defenses. The Buckeyes' victory over Purdue marked the third time this season they have won a game without scoring an offensive touchdown. The problem with the BCS once again is the computer average, as Ohio State has an average of 2.0 and USC's is 3.33. Computers cannot see how a team looks on the field. They can't see the inept Buckeyes' offense, nor can they see USC dominate opponent after opponent since its slip-up at California Sept. 27.\nThanks to persistent complaints and challenges of the BCS system by conference officials not part of the BCS, there may be light at the end of the college football postseason tunnel. Unfortunately, there are no timetables for changing the BCS, which means it could be a slow process, especially considering the current BCS contract is not up until after the 2005 college football season. Presidents of the BCS universities and conferences met last week with members of the National Coalition for Athletics Reform, a group formed in opposition of the BCS by Tulane President Scott Cowen. Cowen has had a particular interest in the BCS since the Green Wave were denied part in the BCS after an undefeated and Top 10 season in 1998, but they were not part of a BCS conference and did not finish in the top six in the BCS rankings.\nWhile a 16-team playoff was completely ruled out, both parties agreed changes to the current system need to be made. An eight-team playoff scenario is a possibility, and while most would argue it would create controversy for the teams still barely getting in and those being left out, at least more teams are allowed to vie for the championship on the field.\nThere is still a strong (and likely) possibility that the two best teams in the country will have a chance to vie for the championship on the field this season, and I'm not talking about Ohio State and undefeated and consensus No. 1 Oklahoma. USC and Oklahoma will still face off for the national championship in the Sugar Bowl, and we will be fortunate enough to see the consensus (by all unbiased parties) two best teams in the nation face off it all on the line. \nWhile USC's BCS point total of 7.71 is 0.19 points shy of Ohio State's 7.52, the difference will not matter after this weekend with Ohio State traveling to face rival Michigan at the "Big House" in Ann Arbor. Michigan and Ohio State will be battling not only for their yearly bragging rights, but for a Big Ten title and automatic BCS bid.\nThis time the "Luckeyes" will not be so fortunate as the Wolverines pose a dominant offense, defense and even strong special teams, not to mention a huge home field advantage and motivation to knock the bitter rival Buckeyes out of national title contention. Ohio State will be lucky not to get embarrassed by Michigan as the Wolverines could easily pound Ohio State by 20 points. Once again the BCS will luck out with USC and the Oklahoma Sooners battling for the title, but that does not mean it is not time for a change. Let's just hope the change comes sooner rather than later.