Love story draws praise from audience

The Ruth N. Halls Theatre was filled Friday evening for the Department of Theatre and Drama's production of "Romeo and Juliet." The audience included a combination of Bloomington residents and IU students. \nThe backdrop of the play was illuminated with different colored lighting. A sun shape hung in the corner. The setting included arched columns for different scenes, and props such as chairs. Because it was such a bare setting, a bed and a casket were used to bring the audience to the scene and better understand the story. The music in between sets created a dark mood, emphasizing the tragedy that would soon take place. \nThe cast was made up of about 30 members, all costumed in Elizabethan attire.\nJunior Darby Cicci played Romeo and said he was very pleased with the turnout of the show. He said the crowd was very focused through its physical response to the show, and Cicci felt people were very receptive.\n"Anytime the audience has a physical reaction it's huge for me, because I feel like I have accomplished something," Cicci said. \nCicci said the bare stage looked a lot better than he had expected. The benefit of the simply decorated stage is that it does not distract people from the acting, enabling people to focus more on Shakespeare, Cicci said. \nCicci said the lighting was great and he was especially happy with the fight scenes. This version of "Romeo and Juliet" combined four different scripts together and Cicci said director Murray McGibbon took the best parts out of all the editions. \nThis combination helped the story to send its message.\n"From what I heard," Cicci said. "People said it made more sense and that was a huge goal of mine -- that they got a lot out of it." \nFreshman Jeremy Gard attended the show and was very impressed with the acting. The actors created an incredibly high standard for a college production, Gard said. \n"If I would have seen this off-campus, I would have not thought they were students," Gard said. \nBloomington residents Harold and Denise Ogren had never seen a student production of "Romeo and Juliet," but said the actors did a very good job. Their only apprehension before seeing the show was it would be too modernized, but they said it was not. \n"I was wondering whether they would contemporize it so much that it would lose its original flavor, but they have done a good job," Denise Ogren said.\nRegarding the text, whether someone understands the language of the era or not, the actors were still able to portray the accurate emotion and intensity, Gard said. \n"This version displayed a lot more emotion and got to the audience much more than other versions I have seen," Gard said. \nCicci said the cast worked well together. He said he was especially impressed with the performance of Juliet, played by Sara Dobbs. \n"I expected her to be great, but she totally blew me away. She was totally connected to it and was transformed by her role," Cicci said.\nAt the end of the performance, the audience applauded, some sniffling due to the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. For the upcoming shows, Cicci said he thinks the play will progress as it continues to be performed. \n"I think the show is at a good place and it will develop throughout the production," Cicci said. \n"Romeo and Juliet" runs today through Saturday at 8 p.m. Ticket prices are $15 for adults and $13 for students and seniors. Contact the IU Auditorium box office or Ticketmaster for more information.\n-- Contact staff writer Jill Sankey at jpsankey@indiana.edu.